Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This is Why I Do What I Do...

I am having a great time on this trip, even though I am experiencing a major lack of sleep. The reason I am having such a great time? I think it has a lot to do with the crew...

We are all getting along well, and we work well together as a team. This morning, we were leaving ATL and after the safety briefing, the PA system went out! We were taxiing to the runway, but were not able to communicate with the CPT or each other. So we wrote a note, passed it under the cockpit door, and then knocked on the door. The guys up front knew we were trying to call, but every time they answered, they couldn't hear us. We ended up pulling off the main taxiway, and the PA system had to be reset. What was so neat, is that the CPT complimented us on how we went about letting them know there was a problem.

After a 3 hour sit in DEN, we flew to Dayton, OH - the flight went well until the last few minutes...the passenger in 1A started complaining of intense pain in her head, from her temple down to her neck. I called another flight attendant to help me assess the situation, and we ended up paging for onboard medical assistance. In the meantime, I pulled out our manual and turned to the first aid section - we had the passenger swallowing, yawning, drinking water, holding her nose and blowing, using ice and then warm compresses - all this was happening as the plane was landing! I jumped in my seat for the actual landing, but then went back to the passenger to finish the paperwork. Since we were landing, we had not yet contacted the CPT. After the landing, the passenger felt much, much better - only a headache remained, and she turned down any medical assistance...again, the CPT complimented us on our decision-making skills and how we handled this situation. It's a good feeling to work with someone who appreciates you!

After checking into our hotel in DAY, we all met at the neighboring hotel's restaurant/bar, and the CPT treated us to dinner! It was a fun evening getting to know my crew better. As I said, this is why I do what I do...

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Consummate professionals are you guys! (BTW - who are you flying with?) Good job and way to go!

Maura O'Neal said...

Thanks for the shout out. I think you're my eighth reader! Sorry to read about your medical maladies, but glad you're still A Whole Different Animal!

Susan said...

We had the same crew for the entire three day trip (unbelievable) - CPT Jim Thigpen, FO Andrew Mitchell, FA "B" Glenda Dixon, and FA "C" Jacquelyn Sample - it was such a good feeling to be part of such a good team!