Thursday, September 25, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different...

I don't mind "giving back" to my company, and my first opportunity to do so is taking place tomorrow, Friday, at the company headquarters. I will be attending a voluntary (i.e. on my own time) training class for "Ears4Peers." This class will teach several flight attendants how to "be there" for fellow flight attendants in the event of a disaster/emergency/etc. It is my understanding that, if a disaster should occur, we will report to headquarters and man the phones to talk to flight attendants who "need to talk." I'll learn a lot more about this program tomorrow morning during my four-hour training session.

I got a bit frustrated today - I don't usually think like an employee. I usually think from the management point of view...I think about "why we do those things the way we do them" instead of just rotely following what I'm told to do. But when I hear fellow flight attendants slamming the company or the management, it really ticks me off. This is a great company. There is no "hidden agenda." Sure, we're all going to get upset from time to time, but we have to remember that how we feel about our company can be seen and heard by the passengers (especially when you moan and groan in one of the galleys!).

So do me a favor fellow flight attendants...stay positive and be happy. If you reach the point of no return, maybe you should consider working for an airline that would more closely match your mood - U N I T E D A I R L I N E S!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I thought about doing the Ears4Peers training, and I really wish I had. I basically just procrastinated the time away because it was too exhausting to think about. I think it's a wonderful idea that hopefully none of you ever get to use.

Another note - I did a quick pre-board with Pedro and Tim when I sat the couch with them the other day. They were fun!

Susan said...

Awwwww. Too bad you didn't sign up! I jumped right in back when I didn't know if we'd be furloughed or not...