Sunday, September 28, 2008

Spontaneity...

Yesterday was the ultimate test in spontaneity for me...

I was assigned to the couch at DIA from Noon to 6PM. It was unusually loud in the crewroom, so I decided to sit at one of the gates and read my book. After awhile, I decided to stop at the ATM to replenish my cash (I had $0 - just like my daughter), and my phone rang. It was crew scheduling. They told me to report to Gate 30, that I was starting a 2-day trip, and that the flight was leaving in 20 minutes! Yes...20 MINUTES. Normally, I have a bit more time than that to prepare.

Well...I was across the hall from the crewroom, so I decided to stop there first to print off my schedule for the next two days (I just kind of wanted to know where I was going and for how long and when I'd be back home...). That's when the CPT came in and yelled out "VEGAS! Anyone going to VEGAS?" I raised my hand, introduced myself and he said "Let's get to the gate, NOW!" So much for small talk, huh?

At the gate, all the passengers were sitting there waiting to board a flight which as supposed to leave in 15 minutes...and the gate agent sees me and YELLS out "So THERE you are!" Mortification. It's not as if I did anything wrong...but now all the passengers probably believe it was all my fault. Oh well. Time to move on.

When I got on the plane, the first person I saw was my classmate, Wendy! Yipppee!!! I asked what position I was supposed to be, and she said "B," which is the aft position. Let's just say that I am working on my spontaneity and flexibility, but I hadn't been B in over three months...that was just a bit too much for me to swallow. Fortunately, the C flight attendant, Michelle, saw my dismay and offered to switch with me. Perfect!

All went well on the flight, everyone was happy, I didn't spill tomato juice on anyone and life was good. We got to Vegas around 6PM or so (I really have no idea what time it was), and Wendy and I made plans to go to the strip!

We took the hotel shuttle to the MGM Grand, then walked up the strip. We actually saw a SHOW!!!! Granted, it was "What Happened to the Missing M" free 3-D show at the M&M World store, but it was still a SHOW on the STRIP in Vegas! Later, we dined at Fatburger where I enjoyed a Babyburger. Yummy!

On our way back down the strip, this time to the Mandalay Bay, we took a tram ride, walked all through the Mandalay Bay looking for the shuttle stop (by the way...the MB smells REALLY good...some sort of tropical scent to cover the cigarette smoke) - which we finally did find. We passed a few brides, a few groups of bachelorettes, a few stag parties, and worst of all...I realized that there are no COIN slot machines in Las Vegas anymore. No more clink clink clink or ding ding ding! Everything is cash or cards. So sad.

I will survive. It's now morning, and I have until 1PM to relax...Just watched a movie with Sandra Bullock and Peter Gallagher, but have no idea what it was cause I missed the beginning. But it was very sweet. Time to take a walk and enjoy Vegas on a Sunday morning!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Funny, but I mentioned that yummy Mandalay Bay smell, too. I thought it smelled like a tropical flower like frangipani or hibiscus or something. Also, Treasure Island has a yummy smell, but it's definitely coconut.

That Sandra Bullock/Peter Gallagher movie? "While You Were Sleeping." Very cute, and yes, very sweet. And isn't Bill Pullman also in it?

Glad you and Wendy had fun. And the walk through Mandalay Bay when you're looking for the shuttle? ENDLESS!!

Jen said...

Good for you! Sounds like you had fun too! I have a quick question. On the baby car seat, do I need to bring the detachable base on board to use the car seat? I did check and it says it's approved for aircraft.

Susan said...

You've probably already left...but I'll answer anyway. If your car seat can be strapped onto the airline seat, and if it has an approved for airline use sticker on it, then you probably don't need the base. Otherwise, you should bring it.

Have fun!