Friday, September 26, 2008

My Lucky Day!

There I was, minding my own business as I was driving back from Denver after having attended my Ears4Peers training class... I was weaving in and out of traffic, going between 5-9 miles over the speed limit, trying to get the slo-pokes out of the left lane...and guess what? An unmarked trooper saw it all!

Lucky me. After seeing me in the left lane trying to get the SUV to speed it up (he was going 70 in a 75 zone), the cop turned on his pretty lights and signaled for me to move to the shoulder. Lucky me. I pulled out the necessary documents and was all ready for him. But what came next was a surprise.

He gave me a pop quiz and asked "How many car lengths are you supposed to keep between you and the car in front of you?" I answered "one length for every 10 miles of speed." And then he asked how many lengths I had between me and that SUV...well...let's not even go there. Then he mentioned my speed in the construction zone (which was a bit high, but not high enough to stop me), and then my lack of/or shortness of turn signal when I changed lanes. In other words, he was having a gay old time racking up the charges against me!

Mentally, I was tallying the fine and points, figuring that I'd have to start walking to work. Then he asked for my documents and told me that he was letting me off with a WARNING. Can you believe it?!?! This guy could have nailed me with $500+ in fines, and he let's me go with a warning.

God was smiling down on me today and giving me a bit of a reminder to slow down and be careful. Thank you!!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think you got off with a warning because you didn't argue with him and I'm sure you were polite. My Dad (the former cop) said that was always the key to avoiding a ticket, if it was avoidable.

Susan said...

You're right, I didn't argue (though I wanted to ask him why he wasn't ticketing the idiots hogging the left lane). But... I have gotten a ticket or two in the past, for only one offense at a time, and I didn't argue. In fact, once I even cried. But they still zapped me. Go figure.

Maybe I'm supposed to call the cop tonight - I wonder if he put his phone number on the business card he gave me...