Sunday, October 12, 2008

What a Great Trip!

I flew with the same First Officer (Steve) and "B" Flight Attendant (Cindy) for the entire trip - fortunately, both were easy-going and laid back, as well as a lot of fun to hang around! Our first round-trip was to Oklahoma City, OK - our CPT (Dick) was a really nice guy and wished that he was coming with us for the entire trip, and our "A" Flight Attendant (Nicky) felt the same way.

But they were both replaced when we returned from OKC. That's when we met our new CPT (Rick) and our new "A" (Cara). What a great team we made! We started out flying to Salt Lake City, and the only excitement that I experienced on that trip was that there was a row of 20 somethings that were passing little plastic bags to each other - when I collected the trash, they deposited the empty bags into my trash bag. I looked at one, and it was a shot of VODKA! So I went to that row, leaned down to the girl on the end and told her that I could get her into A LOT of trouble...i.e. the police meeting the flight in SLC, but that I was going to pretend that I didn't see anything. She was completely freaked out and apologetic.

Next, we ferried the empty plane to Logan, UT. We had a couple hours to wait until the Utah State football team came on board - but Steve (who lives in Logan) told us we were getting lunch...! We went into the jet center's conference room, and there was Steve's wife, Janiel, their 3 year old daughter Shelby, and Janiel's Mom...setting up a spread of food! What a nice treat that was!!! And on top of all that, Janiel had a small loaf of zucchini bread for each of us! It is rare to be treated in such a nice way!

The football team and all their "hangers-on" were okay - it was really hard to walk up and down the aisles because of the size of these guys, and various body parts were spilling into the aisle!

They were polite, but were getting a bit impatient with all the "hurry up and wait" that was happening...We flew them to San Jose, CA where they played San Jose State yesterday (Utah State lost 30-7...ouch). The guys were staying at the same hotel that we were, so that cancelled any plans that I had to go to the hot tub!!! Instead, I took a nice walk around the area - Yahoo, McAfee, eBay, Paypal - we were surrounded by software companies and their buildings! Great America was right across the street, but it was probably closed during the week.

Yesterday was a hard day...I got a lot of sleep on Friday night, so I was rested and refreshed for our flight back to Denver that left at 6:30AM. What I wasn't prepared for was a drunk passenger! Unfortunately, I did not discover this until after we were on the taxiway. The guy smelled of alcohol, and his eyes were unfocused, and he was sitting in the exit row! So we called the CPT to let him know what we discovered, reseated the drunk so he wasn't a threat to safety, and the rest of the flight was uneventful. He slept almost the entire way, except when the drink cart was parked next to him - then he guzzled water like there was "no tomorrow." The CPT alerted the gate crew for the drunk's continuing flight, so they could make a determination as to whether or not he should be allowed on board. The drunk must have stayed up all night drinking so that he'd be sure not to miss his flight!

Back in Denver, we had a two hour sit during which I wrote up my report about the drunk. I also got to see a few of my classmates and chat for awhile. We got a new "A" flight attendant (Ron), also, and he was a doll. At first I was afraid he was a "senior papa" and would be aloof, but he and I had a really good time talking during our "victory lap" to Los Angeles. It turns out he's a former jazz/modern dancer (and he's straight), and he actually knew of the musical "In the Heights" where Jen works!

There was a passenger on the flight to Los Angeles that could be a double for Steve Carell (from The Office), if, in fact, it wasn't him. I don't think that it was.

The return flight from Los Angeles was the hardest - EVERYONE had too much stuff that they were bringing onboard. Row 1D was nasty to me when I told her and her seatmates that nothing could be on the floor during takeoff/landing, and at landing they all tried to "hide" their bags with their jackets - I made Ron deal with them and put their stuff in the overhead! I was whipping bags out of the overheads to make room for the roller bags, moving stuff around, shoving stuff back in...I'm good at it. And I feel a real sense of accomplishment when I don't have to gate check any bags! However, on 11/1/08 we start charging to check ANY bags...it is going to be A MESS.

All in all, it was a great trip! I'm still on duty today and tomorrow, but *knock on wood* no calls came today, and I hope that tomorrow is quiet, too! Cause I'm tired, in a very good kind of way!

No comments: