Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mall of Americanos!

I left the house on Thursday morning at 6:30AM because I knew there were some new updates to our Flight Attendant Manual that had to be inserted before flying...it's a good thing that I came early! It turns out that a snowstorm was following me up the highway and to the airport! Isn't it supposed to be May?!?

I joined a "crew in progress" for the Minneapolis overnight (they had just completed a 4-day trip in Ft. Myers, FL and were all "beached out") - all really nice people to work with, and nice people on the flight.

In Minneapolis, we were taken to a brand spanking new hotel - a Hilton - about 8 miles away from the Mall of America. We were the first Frontier crew to stay there...and boy, am I getting spoiled. No more Motel 6 for me!

The bellman arranged to take me and the First Officer to the Mall, and each of us did our own wandering around. I had dinner at a Thai "fast food" place, and walked in circles (literally) looking at the hundreds of shops available. But all I bought was a box of "doggy" animal crackers for Kikko! The hotel shuttle had a 7:15PM pickup at the Mall, and then it was back to the room. I actually went to bed around 9PM because the van was leaving at 5:35AM to take us back to the airport.

The next morning as we were walking to the gate, crew scheduling called me and told me that when I got back to Denver I was assigned to a Puerto Vallerta turn! Oh...how I wish I could have stayed there! I was working with a couple "senior mamas" who were great - had great attitudes, etc. While on the ground for 50 minutes in Puerto Vallerta, I couldn't see much except for mountains in the distance and sunshine. Lots and lots of sunshine.

We had an interesting return flight - I had a passenger who wasn't feeling well, but did not speak much English so she couldn't tell me what was wrong. So we found a translator on the plane, and the guy in the row in front of the patient was an EMT, so he pretty much took over with me taking notes. She was hot, disoriented, and said that her hands were tingling and cramping. She also had not had anything to eat or drink all day...so he diagnosed dehydration. We gave her fluids, snacks, and TLC, and she did much much better.

I reported all this to the CPT, and he made the decision to contact STAT-MD, our inflight medical consultants, and they agreed with the diagnosis, but decided to have paramedics meet the flight. So I moved the patient and her family to the front row and ushered them off the plane before everyone else. Thankfully, she was looking great by the end of the flight.

Boy...having that kind of thing going on sure makes a 3 hour flight go fast! Also, towards the end, one of my fellow flight attendants started feeling poorly, so she swapped for the back of the plane and stayed out of sight. Never a dull moment, huh?

No comments: