Monday, January 12, 2009

Three Days = Three Trips to Denver

I just finished three duty days...on the first day, I sat the couch at 6AM until Noon. On Saturday, I did a turn to Cancun that got back to Denver at 8PM. And yesterday, I did a turn to San Jose, CA. My poor car just got driven approximately 540 miles in three days...

My goal is to drive as few times to Denver as possible during a block of duty days, but I guess Crew Scheduling hasn't "received that memo." But I am making good use of the time...thanks to Jen, I now have a ton of CDs with the soundtracks of musicals - I listened to "The Boy from OZ" (with Hugh Jackman), "Avenue Q", "Annie", "The Sound of Music", and "Aida" in the past few days. One of these days I'll start listening to my Spanish Language Course CDs again.

I got to fly on the 320 to/from Cancun on Saturday - it has four flight attendants on board, and it's a bit different than the 319s and 318s that I usually fly. The crew was fantastic, though, and a long day went by pretty quickly! And one of the ladies was near the top of the seniority list! Just goes to show that most flight attendants DO follow procedure, no matter their ranking.

On yesterday's return flight from San Jose, CA I had a "celebrity" on board - Ted Christie, our Chief Financial Officer. That added a tiny bit of pressure - I was the C, so I had to swipe the TVs for our Classic and Classic Plus passengers. When I came to Ted and his family, I said something along the lines of "If I remember correctly, I am not supposed to comp your TVs, but I don't want to commit a faux pas and not comp them, when I'm actually supposed to because of your title." He laughed and said, "No, you are correct...but thank you for asking to make sure." He's a really nice guy.

I have today off to cram in all those things that I need to get done in one day - massage appointment (my right arm and knee have been giving me fits), grocery store, post office, and Church potluck dinner tonight - and of course, it's snowing today! Not to mention the tons and tons of paperwork that have accumulated on my desk. Argh. I go back on duty tomorrow for two days, and there are three two-day trips on the board...stay tuned.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I hate those days when you have to drive back and forth, too. Really sucks up the gas, don't it?

I got a no-fly day today, and I go back on for two days tomorrow, too. Maybe one of those MCI 20 hour layover 2 days is in open time with multiple open positions. If it is, let's bid and maybe we'll finally get to do a trip together!