Thursday, December 18, 2008

Like a Bat Outta Hell...

My phone rang at 8:32AM. It was crew scheduling telling me I had to be at DIA by 10:32AM for a 10:55AM roundtrip to San Antonio. Then they called again and told me that they were adding on a Tampa overnight to the trip. So I threw everything together, got it into the car and took off - this time I had decided to change into my uniform at the airport to save some time.

After I parked and got onto the shuttle bus to the airport, my phone rang again. This time crew scheduling was telling me to go directly to Gate 28 because they couldn't find anyone to help preboard the flight. I told her that I still had to stop and change into my uniform, and that I'd be there as soon as humanly possible. I had about 7 minutes to spare when I "officially" called in to say that I had arrived.

The crew to/from San Antonio was very nice, and that portion of the day went by very quickly. Then I went to find my crew for the Tampa overnight - the arriving plane was late, and we ended up being two hours delayed because of insufficient oxygen in the flight deck. So the passengers got free TV, which made them happy, but I ran out of sandwiches and salads at row 10. Bummer. I sold all but 8 snacks on my snack cart...and I could have sold a lot more. This group was really needy.

There was a little boy screaming his head off. Passengers were complaining, but what could I do? I asked the parents if I could help, but the kid was just out of control. Red face, wide open mouth, tears...it was almost unbearable. Finally, he fell asleep, and the parents commenced drinking. You could tell that they had had enough. (So had the rest of the plane.)

So now it's almost 2AM here in Tampa, we have to catch our shuttle back to the airport at 8:40AM. I should be sleeping. In fact, that's what I am going to do. It's been a VERY long day for me.

No comments: