Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jen!

I have to do two posts today - I can't let today go by without giving a "shout out" to my not-so-little girl who turns 20 years old today...where has the time gone?

Dear Jen,

I can't believe that you are 20 years old.

I have so many memories - wonderful ones - of you from throughout your life. You and I were constant companions (until you got your driver's license) from the beginning, and even now, when we get together, it's like we never were apart. Here are just a few of the billions of memories that come to mind:

* Watching you sleep when you were a baby, and freaking out when, at two weeks, you first slept through the night...I was so afraid that you weren't breathing! But, no...you took it seriously when, the night before, you cried in the middle of the night, and I went and got you and rocked/nursed you, tears streaming from my eyes, saying how I couldn't do this anymore...that I needed SLEEP! You...being the wonderful daughter that you are, started sleeping through the next night. Thank you.

* Remembering the time that I locked you in the car...(not one of my proudest moments). We were at the "mall" in Boeblingen, Germany and had just gotten take-out from the McDonald's. I loaded you (around 12 months old) into your carseat in the back of my Subaru Justy, placed the McDonald's on the front seat, the car keys on the dashboard, and then locked the car and closed the car door. Unfortunately, it was "lunch hour" and the German guys at the nearby service station didn't want to be bothered to try and understand my broken German, as I tried to explain my dilemma. I ran back to the car...you were crying. I don't know if it was because you were scared or if you were hungry and could smell the McDonald's food! I had to leave you again to try and get help - remember, this was before cell phones! - I ended up going into the mall, begging to use the telephone, and ended up calling Daddy - he came over from work and rescued you with a coat hanger. My hero!

* I am so proud that I was there when you got asked for your hand in marriage the first time. It was at a canal-side cafe in Venice, Italy...a gorgeous Italian waiter came over and told us that you were beautiful. He then asked Daddy if he could marry you when you grew up...

* Enjoying the times you loved to "dress up" - even when it wasn't Halloween...especially the night that we ordered Chinese at "The New Panda" - you had to put on your "mini-wedding dress," veil and high-heeled shoes - I brought you in to the restaurant with me, and you loved all the attention you got from the wait staff, as they told you what a beautiful bride you made!

Fast forward several years...there are entirely too many memories and it would take me all day to record them...

* The fun times we have had together - our "Mystery Trip" to San Francisco, our numerous trips to the mall, our 8-week cross-country trip two summers ago, my visits to NYC. There are so many more to come.

* Watching you dance onstage. My heart bursts with pride, my eyes well with tears. What more can I say?

and finally,

* Watching you bloom and grow in New York City. You are where you need to be - you are showing your maturity, your talent, your focus - I know you will be successful in whatever you decide to do.

I love you,

Mommy

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I would comment on this beautiful note to your daughter, but my eyes are full and my throat is all choked up.

Jen said...

Thanks for making me freaking cry! :'(