Sunday, May 10, 2009

Things That Go Bump in The Night...

It has been an interesting couple of days...

Yesterday, I drove to our cabin in Breckenridge for a tiny bit of R&R. I took a nap in a swinging chair on our deck, watched a movie, ate a nice dinner, and was getting ready for bed when my phone rang.

It was Jen. And she was upset because she had just killed a bedbug. It seems that NYC is having an infestation, and they've finally found Jen's little apartment. I looked online and found a 24-hour pest control service and spoke with Ron (who just happened to be in Vegas). He did a quick run through of everything that'll need to be done before they can come in and "do their thing."

Seeing as how Jen is in the middle of finals and has a full schedule of work, I decided to be "SUPER MOMMY" and fly in a day or two earlier than I had originally planned so that we can get this show on the road. I packed up what little I had brought to the cabin, took down the dog fencing, reset the thermostats, and hit the road at around 12:30AM.

I wasn't even close to being tired...the thought of bedbugs crawling all over me was enough to keep me awake. Also, as I was heading out of Breckenridge it started snowing (but not sticking on the roads - it had been in the 50s all day), and I was behind two pick-em-up trucks who were scared...at the top of Hoosier Pass they pulled over, allowing me to go on my merry way. But you have to be careful coming down that side...there are a lot of turns with no guardrails and steep drop-offs, and the snow was still coming down.

The snow stopped before I reached Alma, but the speed limit there is 30 mph...so I creeped through town without a soul in sight. At the other end, I started speeding up - since the limit increases to 65 mph. Somewhere between there and the next town of Fairplay, I saw an elk up ahead on the left...I started slowing down...and then BAM BAM BAM!!! I was being hit by elk from both sides!!! Body parts and fur were flying - I'm guessing I was going around 40 mph by that time. I went into kind of a dream state. Was this really happening?

The car still drove fine, it was about 1AM in the middle of nowhere, so I kept on going. I called Greg to let him know and to get his advice, and he said to call the police so that they could make sure the road was clear. But before I could do that, Jen texted me an update about her bedbug issue, and I let her know that I had just hit a herd of elk. (Not a good thing to tell your daughter!) I called the cops, let them know about the carnage (someone else had already told them) and continued on my way home.

Here are a few pics - I left out the close-ups that show the bits and pieces of fur...I have a feeling that this is gonna be a bit on the pricey side.

Bumper seems to be okay, but hood and light are smooshed.
Thank God nothing flew through the windshield!


Half the windscreen is gone, and the damage on the other side...

Side mirror and windshield totaled.

No comments: