Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Life in New York

After such an "interesting" Saturday night, I had a quiet Sunday...I decided to fly to NYC on JetBlue and take their redeye flight which left DEN at 12:55 AM on Monday and got into JFK at 6 AM. Needless to say, I was a bit tired.

I made my way to Jen's apartment after taking the AirTrain and the subway, and then slept for a couple hours when I reached my destination. I called Jen's new super and explained our situation with "the bugs" and asked if we could get her keys early. Fortunately, he said yes! So, while Jen was in class (the timing of all this couldn't be any worse - it's finals week!!!), I schlepped a ton of her clothes to the laundromat and washed, dried, folded and bagged them! Fortunately, Jen was done and joined me during the folding process.

Instead of bringing all the newly washed clothes back up 6 flights of stairs into a possibly bug-infested apartment, we took all the clean things to the new place! Awesome. This place is 180 degrees different than what she is in now. Thank God!

We decided to camp out at the new place, instead of (trying) to sleep in the old one. Aside from the lack of furniture and the hard floor, it was a nice first night in the new apartment!

I spent Tuesday washing more clothes - again, Jen was done with classes in time to fold and schlep to the new place (I also make her go up and down the six flights to take back things and bring down new things . . .). While Jen went to work, I went back to the old place and totally cleaned the bathroom - if anyone dares to use it, I will have a fit!

Jen's roommate decided to move now, also - but she isn't taking the precautions that we are with her clothes, stuff, etc. She used up all OUR trashbags to bag up her things, but she bagged them all with the bugs still inside (if there are any, of course!). Hopefully, she won't get a nasty surprise at her next apartment!

On Wednesday, I have to get get the old place ready for the exterminator - he wants everything at least three feet from the walls . . . when the place is only 8 feet wide, that doesn't leave a whole lot of space for boxes, etc! I'll do the best that I can.

The old apartment will be fumigated on Thursday morning and the movers will come on Friday afternoon (where I'll pay big, burley guys to do the schlepping). I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel . . .

Jen demonstrating how large this place is as she stretches side . . .

. . . to side! The pictures don't really do it justice. Granted, it's smaller based on Colorado standards, but compared to her old place, this is a palace!

The bathroom features an awesome triple medicine cabinet with mirrors - makes for some camera fun! Do you see me peeking around the doorframe?



More camera and mirror fun - it's going to provide Jen with many, many nights of entertainment!

A view of the kitchen, featuring lots and lots of CABINETS and a DISHWASHER (which is a rare thing in NYC apartments)!



A beautiful microwave/convection oven and a GAS STOVE. The stove has a griddle in the center - she can now make Grandma's grilled cheese sandwiches with ease!

View from her apartment window.

Our lovely double bed - all we're missing is a mattress, box springs, sheets, and another blanket or two!



After a hard day of laundry, schlepping clothes, cleaning the old place and hauling dishes and stuff to the new place, I rewarded myself with an hour on the 11th floor rooftop patio. If you look closely, there's a little white peak to the right of center - that's the Chrysler Building.

And this is looking north - mainly apartment buildings.



And the highlight - the Empire State building (bathed in purple lights - for Frontier, maybe?), and the New Yorker hotel. Those lighted canopies have tables and chairs underneathe them for dinners under the stars, poker games, or shelter from the sun!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so jealous - it looks like a great apartment! When Erik and Greg pull their pins, let's don purple and red and go live there, ok?

Susan said...

I have never heard it put quite that way before . . . "pull their pins" . . . what a riot!!! And yes, I will go live there. BUT, I will not be wearing purple and red. Also, I'm not sure about the whole roommate thing - can we be neighbors?!?