Sunday, February 1, 2009

Suit of Armor?

I got a call from crew scheduling this morning to do a STL turn and then a DCA overnight. On the drive to DIA, I talked with my Mom, and told her that I'd be wearing my plastic shield so that no one could say things to hurt me...I was kind of nervous going back into the crewroom.

Three of my classmates were there - Wendy, LuEllen and Pat - and when I found a note in my v-file, I had Pat read it first. If it was bad, I was going to tuck it away and maybe never read it. But it was a "hang in there" note from another flight attendant!

The crews on all my flights today have been fabulous! I've had such a good time...I was in the middle of the cabin for my STL turn and I'm at the front of the plane on the DCA overnight. We are all getting along, we're laughing, the passengers have been great - they got to watch the entire SuperBowl on the flight to DCA - the flight deck could hear everyone cheer when the Cardinals scored their final touchdown!

Too bad this layover in DCA is so short. There are so many people that I could be hanging out with, but I need to go to bed! Our van is at 0745 tomorrow, and then back to Denver I go!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you're having a good experience this time. You really needed a positive one for a change! Keep keeping your chin up and hang in there - I told you this would pass!

The other day on my quick overnight to Atlanta, I got to the back of the plane at the beginning of service to grab a wine when I overheard one of the other FAs say, "No, she won't say anything, she's too polite."

Well, the other one shrugged, turned to me and said, "So what did you think of that Susan Moore email?"

I said, "Well, Susan is a dear friend and I understand her real meaning behind the email, no matter how it was taken, so I'm just going to distance myself from all the hub bub. I'll only say this, "She meant it in the most positive light."

Then the first one said, "See? I told you she was too polite!" They both laughed and that was the end of it. And they didn't treat me horribly, which I was a little nervous about. They actually acted as though they understood my position and respected it. Kinda nice!

Jen said...

I'm glad you had a good day! Isn't funny that there are still adults that can be so hurtful. I am explaining to my children, that the people that are mean are not worth being friends with... same rule applies for years to come I guess.

Susan said...

It's been really weird - the reserves want to talk about it and they have agreed with everything I said. The lineholders want to critique the letter, telling me what I should have left out. All I know is:

1. I meant everything I wrote and I will stand by it.
2. This is my opinion and I can't understand why people feel threatened by it...am I that powerful?
3. Can't we all just get along?!?!