Sunday, June 1, 2008

Too Pooped to Pop

Right as I was dozing off last night I heard a loud "whoosh" of water coming from the vicinity of the bathroom. I got out of bed and peeked in and saw water coming out of the light fixture above the shower and flowing into the bathtub! I called the front desk, changed into my workout clothes, and waited for maintenance to arrive. When I showed the guy the problem, he said "Hmmm. This is not good. We are going to have to give you another room."

So I packed it all up and moved up one flight...the new room wasn't quite as nice. Double bed instead of king, no kleenex anywhere, older TV (not a flat screen). Boy, am I becoming a snob!

Our van this morning was at 4:50AM, and then we were off to Denver! I barely even remember the flight now...it seems like so long ago. After I said goodbye to the crew, I called crew scheduling and they told me I was doing a turn to Cancun, and the flight was leaving in about 45 minutes.

So I went to my new gate, got settled on the plane and met my new crew. I had a snotty passenger who was a frequent flyer and kept flashing his FF card. He wanted free TV for his entire family (he's allowed only one free TV), he wanted more blankets brought onto the plane, he wanted to keep his beverage even though we were getting ready to land. He was a real pain in the derriere. I'm kicking around the idea of "turning him in."

Anyway, Cancun looked real nice from the airplane - I wish I could have stayed! I had good conversations with both of my co-workers. It turns out that the aft galley flight attendant is NUMBER ONE in seniority - after I found that out, I started goofing up stuff, and had to remind myself that it's no big deal that she is #1 of 1044 and I am 81 from the BOTTOM of that 1044. I learned lots of tips by watching her - she's been a flight attendant for 40 years! The front flight attendant has been with the company for 11 years, and she was a lot of fun to talk to also! She had lots of good stories to tell.

So...even though I am now EXHAUSTED, it was a great series of trips. And now, if everything goes as planned, I will not be working again until July 1. (However, I just noticed that the company is looking for "will fly" flight attendants...COLAs may be reversed if that keeps up.)

No comments: