Thursday, February 28, 2008

Kill 'em With Kindness

Last night's flight went well - The captain and first officer were the same as last week's flight to Nashville (she's the one who gives a candy and a personal note to all frequent fliers) - they are good people to work with. Very positive and very funny. The flight attendants were different than the ones last week, and this whole group was continuing on to Chicago for an overnight after our return from Detroit. I would have loved to continue on with them.

The hotel was another outstanding one...they even had a special "crew room" stocked with snacks, beverages, a microwave, fridge, etc. I encountered a "drunk" on the way to my room... I was talking on the cell phone to Greg as I was in the lobby/hallway area. A guy came out of the bar and walked in the direction of the rooms. I followed later, and actually caught up to him. There was a step ladder in one of the hallways with a worker on it, and the drunk almost took out the ladder! I stepped out of the way, as the drunk hit the floor. He had another guy with him, so I let him and the worker take care of things.

This morning we had to catch our shuttle bus to the airport at 5AM (3AM Denver time - no wonder I'm pooped!), and before the passengers boarded, the gate agent came to warn me about a passenger traveling with a toddler, two cats, a carseat and a bunch of luggage. Let's just say, before she boarded the plane she created quite a stink. She was upset that she had to pay $50 because her suitcase weighed 73 pounds, she also had to pay to carry her two cats on the plane, and she was appalled that there was no one to help her carry all her carry-ons! Evidently, she was very, very vocal about all these demands. So they boarded this woman first, complete with a special cart for all her carry-ons. She walked on with her toddler, not carrying anything, and expected everyone else to carry her things. She had been assigned an aisle and middle seat, but per FAA regs, the car seat couldn't block any other passenger's egress - she refused to move over. So we ended up moving the passenger in the window seat to another seat. I had the captain call ahead to Denver for a "Meet and Greet" - and when we arrived, a person was there to help her. But again, as she left the plane, she had one of the flight attendants carry her carseat. We decided to help her as much as we could to avoid her wrath - good decision for so early in the morning!

All that leads me to ask the question...Aren't you supposed to carry-on your own carry-ons? The woman wasn't at all what I expected...she was in her 20s, looked normal (i.e. wasn't a Barbie doll)...all we could surmise is that she was ticked off that she was having to make this trip alone. Oh well.

In my first row, I had a family traveling from Canada to Mazatlan, and they had a 7 month old with them. When the baby got fussy, I asked to hold her and stood at the front of the plane carrying her around for a few minutes. What memories! They even took a picture of us - it was the little girl's first airplane flight. So sweet.

When I got back to DEN, I called crew scheduling and they put me on 10 hour rest. So I drove home, and will be back on duty at around 6PM or so. I just looked at my schedule and I have to be back at the airport by 8:45PM for an overnight to Sacramento. We'll have a return flight tomorrow morning at 6:15AM (at least that'll be 7:15AM Denver time), and when I return I will probably be put on 10 hours rest again. There was only one open job on the board for tomorrow night...a deadhead (ride as a passenger) to Vegas, spend 17 hours there, and then work a charter to Charlotte, NC and then ferry the plane back to Denver - it's on our new A320, and rumor has it that it is a NASCAR charter. I'll know in a couple hours if I got it...

No comments: