Sunday, April 26, 2009

On a Long Day...You Can Fly Forever!

Whew. Yesterday was a very long day. Flying back to Denver from Indianapolis was a bit over 2 hours. Then flying to San Francisco was a bit over 2 hours, and I have no clue how long it took to get back to Denver from San Fran...I never asked and I didn't pay attention to the clock.

It was a good ending to a good trip. The First Officer didn't do the victory lap with us (the final turn)...and he didn't say goodbye, either. Bummer. His loss.

The people on the flight to San Francisco were a tad on the needy side...I had people getting up while we were in turbulence, I had a sorority girl scoff and roll her eyes at me when I gave her only a sip of water as we were getting ready to taxi (I later explained it to her that I was supposed to be doing my safety duties and not serving beverages...), and another sorority girl who I caught stealing a can of soda from the aft galley as I was exiting the lavatory. Sheesh! I would have given it to her had she asked.

We also had SIX dogs in the cargo hold and TWO cats! Rumor had it that their cages were right next to each other...that must have been interesting.

On this trip, I was the B flight attendant - the one at the aft of the aircraft. I am responsible for the boarding announcements, safety demo and preparation for landing announcements. One thing that I have learned, is that it's best if I read the announcements (in a very animated way, of course). I do that for a reason. If I try to wing it, and I get distracted, I have no clue what I was saying and where I left off! That's a big no-no. There are things we HAVE to say per FAA regulations, and I just don't want to mess that up.

I say that, because there are lots of interruptions that happen as you're trying to make the announcements - someone only a row or two from you cannot get their bag to fit in the overhead. So I'm thinking how I can go help when I am making my announcement, and then I lose my train of thought and don't know what I'm saying! This actually happened two days ago. When I finally finished my announcement, I went to the offending bag, pulled it partway out of the overhead, and shoved it back in with "a bit" of force. The overhead door would now close, much to the amazement and enjoyment of the nearby passengers.

Yesterday, we had a pair of middle-aged women watching us serve beverages...we'd do something, and one would poke the other with her elbow and lean over and whisper. I would love to know what they were saying...probably something along the lines of how old we were! Did you know that the average age of flight attendants at our airline is 47?

I had a lot of fun with Karen and Esther on this trip! I do hope that I get to travel with them again real soon.

No comments: