Sunday, December 9, 2007

Snow, Snow and More Snow!

To pick up where I left off...I did CPD (couch potato duty) on Monday until 6PM at the airport, and then on Tuesday I did CPD at home! That was nice, because I still had a lot of Christmas decorating to do.

Then I had Wednesday through Friday off...

Yesterday, Saturday 12/8/07, I was assigned CPD from noon to 6PM but then was immediately assigned to do a St. Louis turn at 4PM with Renate from my class (she's the first person I've flown with more than once). In the meantime, though I got to visit with several other classmates as they came in and out of the crewroom. One in particular is my buddy, Hope! We got a few hours to "catch up" and talk, and we even called Janel to find out how the heck she's doing.

At around 3PM, Renate and I met our crew - very sedate and calm looking. Boy...were we wrong. The gate agents were trying to get our flight out of the gate early so that the de-icing process could get done and the flight out on time. Well...let's just say that the ramp people forgot about us and didn't load the bags! So we were all ready to go but couldn't leave. But everyone had a great attitude.

When I said that I was wrong about the crew, this is what I meant - when the Captain made his first announcement introducing the flight attendants, he said that we had a pseudo-celebrity on board. He told the passengers that our B attendant was flying her last flight, because she was going off to work full-time training the women's Olympic volleyball team. He went into such detail that the passengers all broke out into applause and congratulated her. I went up to the cockpit and asked if he was serious, and of course they assured me they were. NOT. So as we landed in STL, I announced that the Captain and the First Officer had been selected as the "Flight Deck Team of the Month" for November, and to please be sure to congratulate them on your way off the plane. And sure enough, the passengers were so impressed and wished them well!

On the leg back to Denver, the Captain announced that the C attendant was Rosetta Stone, an entreprenuer who is doing this job as a hobby, but that she has a tape/CD language instruction series empire. He said to be sure that we spoke to her in as many different languages as we could. When the B made her introductions, she introduced the Captain as "Captain Storyteller" - this time we were all rolling our eyes and shaking our heads no as he was telling the passengers this "story."

It sure made for a fun flight!

When we got back to Denver, it was close to midnight and the roads were icy and snowy. I had made arrangements to stay with my surrogate parents, the Geyer's, for the night, and on the way there I passed a multi-car pile-up on I-70 that appeared to have started with a jacknifed truck. But I managed to get by and continued on my way to their house...they kept a light on for me, and had the electric blanket on and a warm bed all ready for me!!! They are such sweet people!!!

I'm back in Colorado Springs now - the sun came out this morning, cleared off the roads, so I came back home and repacked my things. I have to report at 11PM for a redeye to (drumroll please...) Jacksonville, FL. YIPPEE! We arrive at 5AM local time and leave the next day around the same time. So after I catch some sleep in the morning, I hope to hit the beach!!!

I still can't believe that I'm being paid to do this job...

No comments: