Saturday, October 17, 2009

Minnie Appleless

The overnight in Tucson went very well - the CPT neglected to call the hotel to come pick us up...but the hotel is only a short walk away. So we hoofed it, checked in, and settled in for a good night's sleep. I ate dinner right before I went to bed. DO NOT DO THAT. I had a horrible dream right before I woke up, and my face had what looked like long scratches on one cheek - but they were indentations from one of the seams in the pillow, I guess. Sheesh. No more bedtime snack for me!

Today we returned to Denver, then did a trip to Minneapolis. Things went real well. On my return flight to Denver, there was a guy in the fourth row aisle seat who did not know how to fasten his seatbelt. He also was holding on very tight to a latched box. He also looked a bit middle eastern. Hmmmmmm. At one point, I struck up a conversation with him, asking him what was in the really cool box - he opened it, and instead of it being the bomb that I feared, it was a video camera, a camera and some accessories. Whew! Crisis averted. The guy also had the sweetest southern accent! Boy...I pegged that one totally wrong! On his way off the aircraft, he thanked me for being so nice...if only he knew.

Our flight to Minneapolis wasn't quite as exciting, but I did get to try out the "crying kid hint" that a previous flight attendant shared with me. There was this 12 month old wailing at the top of her lungs - her parents shared with me that they had been traveling for 38 hours - from Australia! Poor kid. No wonder she was so unhappy! So I handed her a plastic cup, making a really big deal about it. Before I knew it she had forgotten all about being cranky and fussy, and she relaxed enough that she finally fell asleep!

Four-fifths of the crew decided to hang out in the bar watching the USC vs ND college football game, and at first I wasn't going to go. But then I thought, what the heck, and I went down and joined them. As we talked, I realized that Jason, the First Officer, was one and the same guy that I had an indepth discussion with a few weeks back, and he ended up telling me that "I make his head explode." So we continued on with the discussion. I am trying to understand his point of view, but just can't quite "get it." And, as usual, there was another wedding reception going on, but I didn't make as much of an effort to try and crash the party...the 5:05AM van is going to come pretty early and I need to hop in bed and get to sleep!

The captain, Bob, had gone out earlier on a "date" with an old friend that he hadn't seen in a long time. We watched from the bar window as he got into her SUV and shook her hand before they drove off to dinner. He said it was an old friend, but I teased him when he came back and said that it appeared to be a Match.com first date, and not the old friend that he insisted it was.

Nonetheless, it was a fun evening. We fly back to Denver in the morning and then we do a turn to Vegas. Last week, the passengers slept on the way there and the crowd was pretty subdued on the way back, too. So it might be a pretty easy day. However, I wonder if they'll send me home like they did last week and let me have a quiet day with no assignments on Monday...keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments: