Monday, October 12, 2009

The Handshake

Our flight from MSP to DEN was quiet. Very quiet. Practically everyone was asleep...The couple in seats 1D and E were laughing at me during the safety demonstration, and I just had to stop and ask them, "Why?!?" Well, it seems they enjoy my "Carol Merrill hands" (one of Barker's Beauties from "The Price is Right") when I was pointing out the red and white overhead signs as well as the closest exits. The company had asked us to be animated and to smile when we do the safety demonstration so that we grab people's attention, so I added the "Carol Merrill" hands...and I've had several people commenting favorably about them. I guess I've gotten their attention!

Our "victory lap" was a turn to Las Vegas - it wasn't the crowd from last Friday night, but they were still fairly excited. There were couples going to Vegas to get hitched, and there were couples who were recently wed and were going on their honeymoon. Lots of nice people to talk to. But I was getting tired. Very tired. Our show time that morning was 5AM, which was 4AM Denver time...so I needed a pick-me-up...

I got it in the form of Frontier's CEO Sean Menke - the man who pulled our company out of bankruptcy! He was on my LAS to DEN flight with three of his buddies...oh boy, oh boy! When he walked on the plane, I put out my hand and said "Welcome aboard, I'm Susan. Thank you for all you've done for our company." I tried very hard to just be myself and have fun with it all...but it's kind of unnerving. Of course, one of the coffee pots decided to overflow after the coffee bag broke, and grounds and coffee were pouring on the counter and tray. I kept my cool, like the professional that I am, and kept right on going.

As I was driving home yesterday afternoon, Greg had warned me about the icy conditions in Colorado Springs. I didn't really know what he was talking about, because it was cloudy and sunny in Denver...but when I hit Monument Pass, it was like a line was drawn across the top of the pass. On the north side, things were beautiful fall colors but on the south side of the line everything was ICE. Fortunately, the roads were clear. When I got to my home, it was like a fairy wonderland. But it was also overcast and dark...a perfect day to cuddle up on the sofa and nap - which is just what I did.

Today, though, the sun is out and it is brilliant! I had to go outside to take a few photos of the shiny ice in the trees and on the grass. Unfortunately, our maple tree had several branches broken by the weight of the ice, but now all the ice is gone...

A few of the aspen trees and evergreens in the front yard.

A close-up of the grass in the backyard.

Our poor maple in the backyard.

Another view of the maple in the backyard, surrounded by icy grass.

I am on duty today until midnight - 12 hours to go...but so far, so good. And that's good. I started writing this post over an hour ago, stopped in the middle and leaned back in my office chair, and slept for at least a half hour! Now I'm awake again, and it's time to finish this and head off to the grocery store. I have Tuesday and Wednesday off, my annual continuing education class at the headquarters in Denver on Thursday, our Emergence from Bankruptcy Celebration on Thursday night, and then I'm on duty for four days.

No comments: