Friday, September 4, 2009

Weirdest Assignment to Date

There I was on Wednesday, keeping a low profile at home, hoping that my cell phone would stay quiet and still. No such luck...at 3:11PM, crew scheduling calls to assign me to a trip for that night. During the minute or two it took to give me the details, all I heard were A320, position D, stand-up, Omaha, new crew on the return. Huh? I'm not usually incoherent at 3 in the afternoon, but I had to ask him to repeat himself because none of this made any sense.

We don't usually fly Airbus 320s to Omaha. We don't usually do stand-ups to Omaha. And usually the entire crew does the stand-up, not just one person. But I got all three. I met my outbound crew at 6:55PM in Denver - our flight was delayed until 8:20PM, which is not good news for me, because that's cutting into my sleeping time! I knew two of the flight attendants from previous flights - Glenn and Sara, and we all got along well. It was a really short flight (1 hour - all stand-ups should be like that), and we got to the hotel at around 11PM. While the rest of the crew made plans to meet up in the bar, I did a "slam, click" after I got to my room.

By the time I turned off the light, it was 11:30PM and I had to be downstairs for the van back to the airport at 4:45AM. SHORT NIGHT. Yuck. But I am woman. I am Super Suzie Stewardess. And I did it. On the way back, one of my classmates, Nancy, worked the front of the plane and I also got to work with Josie and Susan - a great bunch of ladies for so early in the morning!!! I got back into Denver at 6:30AM and got released for the rest of the day!!! AND I was off today anyway!

BUT...after driving home (and eating something the entire way - that helps to keep me fat and awake), I realized how exhausted I was. So I laid down on the chaise lounge by the stream in the backyard, and with only a few interruptions (like Kodi sticking his nose in my eye to see if I was still alive, and Kodi running away with my cell phone charger), I slept for three hours. Nice.

I'm back on duty starting tomorrow for four days. There were four four-day trips on the board for tomorrow, but two have disappeared. I guess I will have to see what I get from crew scheduling later on today...

No comments: