Wednesday, March 24, 2010

God Bless Duct Tape

Yesterday did not go exactly the way that I had planned...

We had a 2-hour layover in Phoenix which turned into 7 hours because of the Denver blizzard. The plane that we were supposed to take back to Denver came in late...we busted butt to get it cleaned and turned around. But then we sat and waited and waited and waited for the "go ahead" to start boarding the plane. It FINALLY came. So we loaded up. Within a few minutes, the CPT made the announcement that F9 has canceled our flight to Denver. So all the passengers left the aircraft and we sat there on the plane trying and trying and trying to contact someone in management to "release" us for the night. It turns out that the next plane from DEN-PHX got canceled, and they were supposed to stay overnight - we wanted an okay from F9 to take their hotel rooms. But it took quite awhile to get that approval. Each of us got on our cellphones, calling anyone who might help us. I called the Inflight Mgmt office, thinking I'd get the "manager on duty," but I guess we don't have one any longer. We finally got into our rooms at midnight.

Of course, we aren't the only crew that got stranded somewhere...one friend is stuck in Dallas, one is in Vegas, one got diverted to Kansas City, and the luckiest one has to stay in Costa Rica for another 24 hours! Awwwwww.

My CPT called this morning and told me that we'll be leaving the hotel at 2:30PM. I pulled up my schedule, and it shows that I had a nice 24-hour layover in PHX! A bit misleading, I'd say. I won't be home until tonight, and hopefully all the roads will be cleaned by then.

The sad thing is, is that today was a day off for me. I've already asked Crew Scheduling if I get a different day off instead, and the answer was no. Today, I had an appointment with my eye doctor to get my glasses replaced/fixed...I called a little while ago to reschedule for tomorrow, but the office was closed today due to weather. So that means that I doubt I'll get in tomorrow. Thank God for duct tape.

We spent our 7 hours in the PHX airport yesterday eating junk food, ready trashy magazines, telling stories, watching the "Flight Status" on the F9 website (it was the only way we knew what was going on...), just hanging out. Passengers would come over and ask us if we had any "insider information." Unfortunately, we were just as clueless as they were.

So...I think I'll treat myself to breakfast at Denny's, take a walk, and then I'll get ready for our 2:30PM van to the airport. I just hope that no one judges me with my duct-taped glasses!!!

2 comments:

John in MRY said...

They flew you into a day off and didn't replace it? Wow...SO glad you guys voted in AFA today!

Susan said...

Well...I sure hope that all the Hope and Promises that everyone says will come with a union materialize. Cause I'm sure not impressed with the last campaign that ran on Hope and Promises.