Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Where in the World is Toes-in-the-Sky?

Being pumped up by the complimentary passenger on my MCI to DEN flight on Monday was an awesome feeling! But I had to bring my mind back down to reality and figure out if I should stay in Denver on Monday night, or if I could risk going back home...because I am on duty until Thursday night at midnight.

I kind of compromised. I did spend the night at my friends' house, but at around 1PM I decided that crew scheduling wasn't going to call (silly me) and I started driving back to COS. Well...guess what happened?!? They called right after I drove over Monument Hill and was heading into the Springs. By that point, Greg wasn't even going to be home, and I'd have only about 3 hours to spend at home, so I turned around and went back to my friends' house to freshen up, relax and then change into my uniform.

Little did I know that this would turn into a 4-day adventure. The call sent me out to a Detroit overnight - I replaced a flight attendant who called in sick from the trip. I had a good time working with the crew, and had wished that I could continue on their trip with them to Dayton. Well...when we reported to the Detroit airport yesterday morning, crew scheduling called and told me that I'd be doing a Dayton overnight when I got back to Denver! And yes...it was with the crew that I had just flown with. I had just emailed a suggestion to the Scheduling Committee asking if they could keep the current reserve on a trip instead of replacing them with someone off the couch - I'm wondering if they incorporated my suggestion, or if it was just a coincidence.

So now I'm in Dayton...but with a new B flight attendant (the one from the Detroit trip called in sick and was replaced with a reserve), and the Captain originally assigned to the trip came back (he must have called in sick for the Detroit overnight) - but we still all worked well together. We're in a Crowne Plaza in downtown Dayton, and if I ever get off the computer I'm going to walk around town a bit...but that's a big IF.

When we landed in Dayton last night, it was close to 1AM, and I tried to "wind down" for bed and finally got to sleep at around 2:30AM. For the past two evenings, leaving Denver has been a real pain - tons and tons of aircraft lined up on the runway waiting to take off - both evenings it took close to 30 minutes! All this is due to the big storms that have been rolling through Denver each afternoon, and to the fact that one runway is closed down for repaving.

I had an unaccompanied 14 year old minor - a boy - on my flight to Dayton, and boy...did he have an attitude! Sheesh. Sunglasses, pulled-down pants, smart mouth. I would have liked to have taught him a few manners! Instead, he gets seated next to a guy in his 20s with big holes in his ears, piercings and tattoos. They spent the entire flight engrossed in conversation. Something tells me that the kid is going to be getting his ears done soon! But the sad thing is that his Mom wasn't at the gate waiting to pick him up. I'm hoping that she was just outside security ... otherwise, that could explain some of the "attitude" I witnessed!

When I turned on my phone in Dayton, I had a message from crew scheduling assigning me to a Dallas overnight when I returned to Denver today. It'll be with a new crew, because this crew does a San Diego victory lap and then they're done. But I am still on duty through tomorrow - but this is great, cause now I know where I'm going and what I'm doing through all the days of this duty block!

I get Friday off, and then I start another five-day block of duty on Saturday. I hope it goes as smoothly as this block did...

No comments: