Sunday, July 12, 2009

Back to the Couch!

Well, life as I know it is back to normal. All our company has left - we had the in-laws for two weeks, Jen was home for three weeks, and my niece and nephew just left after being here almost a week. Jen's room (a.k.a. the guestroom) is looking pretty empty.

Today is day 1 of 5 days on duty, and I got assigned to the A shift on the couch at DIA. So, here I sit, on the ready, in case anyone needs my professional expert assistance pre-boarding an aircraft!

And I have already been called this morning, which provided tons of fun so early in the morning. I pre-boarded a 7:10AM flight to Las Vegas and had lots of excitement! I was the C flight attendant, so I got to ensure that everyone's stuff was stuffed into the overhead bins and under the seats.

Also, I got to deal with passengers unhappy with their seats...there was one woman in row 1 who was VERY upset because she recently had knee surgery and had booked herself in seat 1C so that she could keep her leg extended. BUT, "someone" had moved her from that seat and put her in 1A. She was highly and mightily upset! I pointed out to her that she would not be able to extend her leg into the aisle if she had an aisle seat - it would impede passenger egress and it would block our lovely carts going up and down the aisles. So she huffily said "Fine. I'll just sit here and if my knee gets messed up, I'll let the airline know!" Fortunately, I was able to convince two other passengers in row 2 to swap seats with her and her friend - after I explained to the woman that she'd be able to extend her leg under the seat in front of her. Crisis solved. I promised the two new Row 1 people free tv for being so kind, but I forgot to give it to them before I left the plane! Oops.

My second lovely experience was with a young 20s guy in row 16C. He was being "smart mouthy" with his Mom and Grandma, and as he was getting ready to sit, I told him to pull up his pants and that I didn't want to see his underwear (his entire butt was exposed). He told me that he'd show me what he wanted to! I told him that I didn't think so, and that he had better behave. He then plugged himself into his iPod and said "I'm tired of listening to your voice." In the meantime, his Mom and Grandma shushed him up. It's a good thing that I wasn't continuing on that flight...he might have tripped me!

And I just heard the story "behind" pulled-down pants (no pun intended). A co-worker just told me that it is a prison thing - guys wear their pants down if they're "available." Interesting...

No comments: