Sunday, July 12, 2009

Spontaneity is the Name of the Game...

There I was, sitting innocently on the couch, listening to another reserve complain how she had been assigned a turn to Kansas City at 3PM, after sitting the couch for six hours and then waiting around for another couple hours...so what did she do? She decided to call in sick.

Then what happened? The crewroom phone rings and it's for me. And guess what crew scheduling gave me...the turn to Kansas City at 3PM. That's when they told me the other flight attendant had just called in sick...and I was next in line. Lucky me! I did ask them what the heck was going on, and she said that they were running out of reserves, and they were having to send everyone out. It sounds to me like #1. they need to bring back the furloughed flight attendants and #2. they need to find out if this was a "sick out."

The best part of all this was that I was able to visit with my friend, Kelly for a few hours! It was so good to see her and catch up. She's also a good sounding board for me when I have "issues." So it was a very productive afternoon. She was being sent out on a 4-day trip - and she was exhausted. But she and I both agreed that there are usually reasons that we get assigned to the trips we get.

And that turned out to be SO TRUE. One of my fellow flight attendants and I talked and learned that both our daughters (both named Jennifer Marie) live in NYC and are in the design field. Her Jennifer is 25 and has a design business with her boyfriend who is a graphic designer. They do all kinds of design work - CD covers, etc. and have two interns working for them in three month shifts! So we exchanged information, and maybe one of these days my Jen can work for her Jen!

And even though I was exhausted, I made the best of it. I did my job well - I interacted with the passengers, made everyone comfortable, got everyone seated and bags stowed overhead so that we had on-time departures...and then when we arrived back in Denver, a guy walked by me and said "You are very good at what you do!"

All I'd like to say is "To the flight attendant who was so nasty to me on my last trip, please read the last sentence of the previous paragraph. And I have only one thing to say to you...Nanny nanny poo poo! :-P"

No comments: