Monday, July 20, 2009

Keep the Bags Packed!

My day off (Friday) was a bit hectic. I had errands to run, phone calls to make, and laundry to wash. I don't even remember all that I did. But it was all over too soon. At dinner that night with some friends, I received a call from crew scheduling telling me that I had been assigned to the A shift (6AM until noon) on the couch for Saturday morning. So back home and to bed I went.

The shift on Saturday went smoothly, and I was with my classmate Crystal and friend Michael. We had a nice time catching up and visiting, I worked on the internet, listened to my "In the Heights" soundtrack CD (I figured out why it wasn't working right) as I read along with the songbook. Crystal told me that I was singing out loud...oops. I didn't mean to do that. At least no one told me to shut up!

I got to go home after my shift, and then later that evening I found out that I had been assigned to a SLC turn and an OKC overnight with a showtime of 8AM on Sunday morning. I can't even remember that last time I was home and able to go to Church on Sunday. Oh well...

The good news was that I was going to be flying with one of my buddies, Darol, who I had never flown with - we had a really good time. The passengers, for the most part, were great! There was a guy in the back who liked my finger wagging when Darol said that smoking is not allowed on board - he asked me to repeat it as I was heading to the back of the plane...his wife said that he really enjoyed it the first time I did it too. I had another guy in the exit row who evidently was Mr. Know-it-All, and kept nodding his head during my safety briefing of the exit row. And then when we were landing, he kept wanting to close the exit door window shade, even though the other FA, Melissa, asked him twice to open it - the sun was in his eyes. Boo hoo hoo! I came along a second later and he still didn't open it. So I told him that if we have a landing emergency, he needs to be able to look out that window to see what is going on...he was rolling his eyes. Then I said "Think about the Hudson River landing, OK?" That seemed to get through to him that this is an important issue. Sheesh.

Today I got into Denver at around 7:40AM and got released to my 10 hours rest. So I went home. My rest period ended about a half hour ago, and so far *knocks on wood* I have not gotten an assignment for tomorrow...could I actually be able to stay home?!?!?

One problem I encountered was that my eBags roller bag handle broke! Greg fixed it for me, but we think it's just a temp fix because he says that there's a broken spring and a bent piece of metal. I called eBags, since this was my second one - I bought it in 12/08 - and they told me that they no longer carry roller bags!!! So, to honor their warranty, they issued me a full refund (less s/h). Not bad. But now I have to figure out which bags Frontier is recommending...i.e. getting discounts on. It's not the biggest problem ever encountered in life, but when you have to actually CARRY bags instead of rolling them, and it's 95 degrees and humid outside, it makes you want to drop everything and buy one of those cute polka dot roller bags in the airport gift shop!

No comments: