Tuesday, November 17, 2009

True Exhaustion

Not only did I not go to the movies at the mall yesterday (it turns out that there is no movie theater there), or go shopping at the mall, I didn't even go to "Happy Hour" at the bar with the 3 crews that were all staying at the hotel in Milwaukee! Rumor has it that the drinks and appetizers are too cheap to pass up...but I was so exhausted after flying for over 8 hours in one day that I went to the room, slammed the door, and clicked the lock shut. Hence, I became an official "slam clicker." I just couldn't bring myself to be social any longer.

Instead, I played on my computer, did some research, and watched episodes of "Glee." Nice and relaxing. I also ate chicken out of a can (pretty disgusting) and mandarin oranges out of a cup. I didn't even feel like going out to eat.

The 0530 van came again this morning and took us back to the airport in Milwaukee. But this time we were heading to Phoenix. Still a three hour trip, but not as long as to Los Angeles. Our flight this morning had only 72 passengers - it's hard to stay awake when you're just sitting around after you've done all your service! And then our flight from Phoenix back to Denver was a bit more than an hour. Halleluiah! I was ready to come home.

I warmed up to the crew, and we had the obligatory discussions about unions, flight attendants, and air-brained employees. I think it's all a matter of agreeing to disagree. Our December schedule came out, and I got less than half the days off that I had requested. Kind of frustrating. But hopefully, I'll start climbing up the seniority ladder in January when our first group of furloughed flight attendants returns to our ranks!

Of course, I am working Christmas for the third year in a row. Two years ago I spent Christmas Eve in Chicago with my cousin Randy and his family, and then Christmas night in Salt Lake City where the hotel gave us a free Christmas dinner. Last year, I spent Christmas Eve in Dallas, where I got sick and ended up calling in sick on Christmas morning and went home instead of on a turn to wherever it was we were going. And who knows where I'll end up this year. I'm on from 12/23 until 12/26. Bummer. And, of course, not one person will trade with me.

I am having a hard time staying awake, so I should probably go to bed. But I want to stay awake and watch "Six Feet Under" - I just got Season 4 Disc 2 and Disc 3 will arrive tomorrow. I also wanted to watch "Glee." I've watched the first two episodes and have to catch up on the next seven episodes. The trouble is, I have a problem with sitting still and staying awake at the same time!

I think I've talked myself into retiring for the evening...

No comments: