Sunday, November 15, 2009

Milwaukee Double-Nighter

I went back on duty on Friday, and got to sit the couch at DIA from 0600 until 1200 - and I actually had a very fun time! It was because my friend, Kelly K, was also sitting the couch. We got to talk, laugh, play Phase 10, and eat breakfast together.

Then on Saturday, I had a surprising day at home! No phone calls from crew scheduling. SHOCKING. Since it's really hard to start a project and then worry that you'll have to abandon it at a moment's notice, I spent the day running nearby errands. I also had a spontaneous lunch with my buddy, Coleen - it turned into a FIVE HOUR lunch. We had a really nice time catching up, and I hope to do a bit of consignment shopping with her next week when I have a few days off.

This morning, my schedule was clear for today at 0715. Then when I looked again at 0810, it had a 3-day trip to MKE and MKE. I wanted to see how long it would take for crew scheduling to call me, and they called at around 1030. Technically, they're supposed to call right after they make the assignment, or so I thought. No biggie. At least it wasn't a two-hour call out.

I left the house at around 1100 - my show time was 1405. It's a really good thing that I left early, because the roads were horrendous. I don't know why Colorado is incapable of handling snow on their roads. Makes no sense to me. I did pretty well all the way up from Colorado Springs until I went over the last hill into Denver - at that point, my car started sliding to the left, and then I corrected it with the steering, and then I started sliding to the right, and again I corrected it, and then I started sliding to the left again...and finally I was able to aim that baby straight again. Funny thing is, the exact same thing happened to Greg in the same spot almost five years ago! Twas not fun.

Anyway, I got to DIA safely. At the appointed time, I met my crew - the CPT and FO seem very nice, but I did not get a good vibe from the two flight attendants. They're rather senior to me, and it just feels weird. I'm the B, so I'm at the back of the plane and pretty much stay to myself. That's a good thing. But when I set up the cart the "new way," the C was not very complimentary about the new system. This isn't rocket science. And it's not the end of the world if we change something. But you wouldn't have been able to know that today. Sheesh. It's at a time like this when I'd like to say, "Get a real job, and see what it's like to REALLY have to work." Enough said.

We flew to Milwaukee tonight, and we're doing a turn to Los Angeles tomorrow. It's gonna be a long day...but I'm gonna keep a positive attitude and a smile on my face. All day! And, if I need to, when I get back to Milwaukee tomorrow night, I may take myself to the movies at the Mall next door, just to reward myself for a great job of acting! Or better yet, maybe I'll just go shopping!!! Yay!

No comments: