Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Drama Continues...

I don't know what it is about COLAs and injuries for me...last time I had a COLA, I fell and broke my right wrist. This time, I missed a step going down Jen's stairs and landed on the landing (hence, it's name) on my butt. In the process, I twisted my left ankle. Bad. I had come close to doing this several times in the past, but always caught myself. But not this time.

I sat in pain for a few minutes, and it eventually subsided. We went on our merry way to the bank, lunch, and then took the subway to Chinatown and SoHo. I was doing fine, but then my ankle started hurting more and more. By the time we decided to leave SoHo, I could hardly put any weight on it. So the subway was out.

We decided that it would probably be a good idea if I had my ankle checked out at the hospital, so Jen hailed a cab and off to Lenox Hill Hospital we went. And it was a busy afternoon. Lots of sick people, a dog bite (by a vicious Yorkie), stomach tube needing changing, and little barefoot me, trying to shield my foot from being bumped by one of the zillions of people in the ER.

Two and a half hours later, I was released - instructions and cane in hand. But alas, no good drugs. Bummer. They did not show me how to use the cane...and I guessed incorrectly! Diane set me straight in this morning's phone call. Before going back up the six flights of steps for the last time for a few days, I stopped at the grocery store for food and the liquor store for some white zin. I'm set.

I hope to be back on both feet no later than Monday...cause I have to be available for work on Wednesday!

No comments: