Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sitting and Waiting

I was "on duty" for the past three days. On Monday, I "flew the couch" from noon until 6PM and the only thing they had us do was preboard a flight to Louisville, KY.

I did not get any of the open 2 day jobs that I bid on for my remaining days on duty, and I did not bid for the couch for either of the days. Nor did I get any calls from crew scheduling assigning me to any trips! So, I guess you could say that I just had two days off! But I was afraid to go anywhere for fear that I'd be called.

We did have some excitement on Tuesday and Wednesday - when I looked to the south of our house, this is what I saw:


Hmmm. It turns out that this was the start of a 9,000 acre wildfire that was on Ft. Carson property on the west side of Highway 115 (the road that runs behind our house) - the actual fire was about 10 miles south of our house. Fortunately, the fire did not cross the highway, nor did it burn any homes or structures. However, there were high winds and the firefighters had a difficult time controlling the fire. In fact, one pilot died when his plane crashed after dropping slurry on the fire. But then yesterday afternoon, guess what happened?


We got several inches of heavy, wet snow that helped to put out the fire! God works in mysterious ways...

No comments: