Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Feel Sorry for Me...I Get Paid to Do This

Oh my gosh...I cannot begin to describe my day today. It was so much fun...

We started out at around 6:30AM and were picked up by the bus from the tour company. We stopped at a few more hotels and then we were on our way. Breakfast was served at a restaurant that had a "mini-rainforest" out the backdoor, complete with a toucan! A couple hours after we started, we arrived at the boat dock. We sprayed/applied our SPFs and boarded our ship.

The rest of the crew stayed out in the sun, but I (for once) used my head and sat up top on the captain's bridge...there were several seats in the open-air, but shaded from the sun. I met a family from Missoula, MT - Mark, Tara, Grant & Weston - lots of fun to talk to, and I later introduced them to the entire crew.

It took at least an hour and a half to get to the island...they had a great set-up. We rented snorkel equipment and were taken out to a reef. WOW. We saw all kinds of colorful fish, a starfish the size of my hand, angelfish, clown fish, etc. I am going to have to look at a chart of Central American fish to determine what exactly I saw.

After about an hour, they called us back to the boat and took us to the island where lunch was being served. We had a delicious fish appetizer, salad, and a main course of chicken. There was a three-piece "band" playing calypso music - it was SO NICE. After lunch, we lounged on the beach, swam in the water, talked, etc. until it was time to board the boat and go back home...but before we did, we got to see a "javelina" (wild pig)! It was about the size of Kikko, but it's teeth were many and SHARP. Then we walked a few feet away and saw at least three iguanas, each about 2 feet long! They were chasing each other only a couple feet away! It was wild.

I enjoyed the sunset ride back to the dock - I visited with the MT folks again, and their two boys hung out with the crew. Ah...to be young again!

It has been an incredible trip...I am so lucky that I was picked for this trip!!!