Thursday, September 27, 2007

Watch Out World...Here I Come!

Today, we got to take our "mid-term" exam, though they didn't tell us ahead of time that's what it is considered! Thank goodness! We would have all freaked out. But we all did well. I had a case of the nerves and couldn't remember one announcement as I was presenting it - I had to stop at each line and think - too bad the instructor isn't in my car every morning as I recite it PERFECTLY. We also got tested on opening/closing, arming/disarming the main cabin door (we have a mock-up in our building), and presenting the safety demonstration. All in preparation for...

My first training flight will be tomorrow! I will be flying to/from Washington, DC (DCA)...I am so excited (and scared). I will be flying with another flight attendant student - Ashley (about half my age). We have a report time of 7:30AM, but I'm sure we'll both be there at least an hour earlier! We'll be flying non-rev, so it's possible that we might be bumped from the flight going to DC, but our instructors assure us that we WON'T be bumped from the return flight. After all, we have an 8 hour training program with the Federal Air Marshals on Saturday learning hand-to-hand combat. But if we do get bumped going there, we were told to find another place that we'd like to go and get seats on that flight (just as long as it's not Mexico, and a place where we can get back to DEN the same day).

I think the key for tomorrow is to RELAX and LEARN. We don't know how the assigned crew will treat us - sometimes they let the "newbies" do everything (except touching any of the doors), and sometimes they make us just sit and watch. Since we don't have our wings yet, we'll have to sit in regular passenger seats, but we're expected to be up and about for most of the flight...!!!

One other thing that we practiced today was serving drinks out of the cart - we walked all over the HQ giving beverages to the employees - I learned that those little cart drawers make a mess if you pull them out too far...it was not a pretty sight. Good thing that I had my name badge covered up so no one knew who I was. We also got to sample all the snacks that we serve on the plane - from the dry snacks to the warm foods served on longer flights (wraps). Delicious!

If you're flying to/from DCA/DEN tomorrow, keep an eye out for me!

No comments: