Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fun with Connie and Melissa!

What an awesome group of duty days...I sat the couch on Monday from 4PM until 10PM (that really wasn't very awesome...in fact, it was hot and yucky in the crewroom so it was actually kind of miserable), on Tuesday I got to stay home and do nothing, and then on Wednesday I got assigned a fantastic three-day trip with a wonderful crew!

On Wednesday, we had a turn to Los Angeles and then an overnight in Indianapolis. I was very excited about IND because one of my classmates, Casie, from Flight Attendant training recently moved to IND and is based in MKE. I let her know that I was coming, our schedules were both open and we got to meet for lunch! And guess what? She brought her sweetie, Daniel with her! We ate lunch at a delicious restaurant called Palomino and then had dessert at Johnny Rocket's in the mall. It was so good to sit down with them and talk - I especially liked getting to know Dan - he's a cutie!

Me, Casie and Daniel in front of the monument in downtown IND

There was also a lot of excitement going on around the downtown monument - the annual Strawberry Festival! For $6 you could get strawberries, shortcake and ice cream, sit outside listening to live music and enjoy the beautiful weather in IND! But I had already had a chocolate malt...poor planning on my part!

On Thursday afternoon we few back to Denver. On that flight we had Jim Colburn, the Director of Operations for Frontier Airlines on our flight - it was fun to talk with him and gather as much information as we could. He said that new things will be announced in the next 60 days, but he couldn't tell us what they were. (I sure hope the news is that we're hiring a new flight attendant class in Denver...but that'd be too good to be true, I'm afraid!)

After Denver, we headed to San Francisco. I was really getting to know my crewmates - Connie was in the back of the plane and she is a very intuitive and lovely lady, full of good advice (I had to write some of it down so I'd remember it all)! And Melissa who worked the cabin is a beautiful woman inside and out. I entertained her with some of my stories, I LOVED her story of how she met her hubby, and we discussed how she resembles Taylor Swift! She was also my partner in crime after we arrived at the hotel - she and I and the CPT went down to the bar for some snacks and beverages, and we enjoyed a couple hours of good conversation. Another crew came in right before we were leaving - and my classmate, Crystal was one of them!

Connie, Melissa and me!

Connie is a bit on the psychic side...it was fascinating to hear what she had to say!

Melissa left us after our return to Denver after leaving SFO - she has 25 whole days off! I wish I could do that every once in awhile...but she'd already worked 90 hours so far this month! Sheesh!

CPT Shawn - a really nice guy to work with.

Our First Officer Mark - he's a nut, as you can see.

After we returned to Denver on Friday, we had a couple hours sit until our "victory lap" to IND. When we got to our plane, we found out it was broken and was moved to the hangar. Next, they gave us a new plane but none of the TVs were working! Uh oh. By this time, the afternoon storms had blown into Denver, and boy...they were fierce! There were at least three tornado warnings that shut down the ramp and airport, and we finally left for IND almost three hours late!

But we had another bigwig on board - Don Osmundson, the VP of Flight Operations for Republic Airways Holdings, Inc, our parent company. The entire crew got to ask all kinds of questions and he gave us straight answers - I like what I heard. Very fair, very nice and very committed to keeping the Frontier way of life going! He actually said that any flight attendant either here or in MKE who doesn't want to do things the Frontier way are invited to leave our company! Boy...I sure hope he follows through on that! It told him about some of the issues in MKE - he was unaware of these issues - and he promised to start working on them immediately. Please impress me Don, and let's see some changes!

By the time we got to IND, the DEN-bound passengers weren't in the greatest of moods. A large percentage of them were going on to other destinations and had already missed their connections. But Frontier did give them hotel vouchers for the night at a Fairfield Inn. Nice place. Once we were up in the air, we heard that more storms were blowing through Denver. I had a few destinations where the connecting flights were being held for us...but our arrival time went from 11PM to 11:10PM to 11:30PM to 11:45PM. Some of those flights' departure times moved back, too, so some passengers were in luck!

We had someone going on to Salt Lake for a wedding today - she had to be at her hair/make-up appointment at 8AM for her sister's wedding - I don't think she made it. We had a passenger going to Los Angeles and then on to Palm Springs by car to be with her best friend who was dying - she was already booked on the first flight out in the morning...I sure hope that she made it to her friend's bedside in time. There were others going on to Spokane, Seattle and even Colorado Springs. They all had their stories and I tried to keep them informed the best that I could.

As people left the aircraft, they thanked us profusely for staying upbeat, happy, and keeping them informed of what was going on. It had been a long night, but yet people had smiles on their faces as they left our plane. We had done a good job!

When it looked like the three Colorado Springs passengers wouldn't be making it, I offered to let them ride with me, since I was driving that way anyway! They were so excited. It was a grandpa who was 70, his ex-wife of 30 years, and their granddaughter who had just graduated from a local high school - they were returning home after a trip to another grandchild's graduation in IND. We enjoyed good conversation during the drive home, and I dropped them off at the grandpa's apartment in downtown Colorado Springs at 2AM.

So all in all, I had a close to 15 hour duty day. I was exhausted by the time I got home. And I start six duty days tomorrow. What was I thinking?!?!? (That I wanted a bunch of days off in a row so that I could go to NYC later this month, that's what I was thinking!) And, of course, as luck would have it, I'll be gracing that gorgeous sexy black leather couch from 6AM to Noon (but I betcha they'll extend me to 2PM cause they're predicting we'll be short of flight attendants)...I see some serious couch sleeping in my future!

No comments: