Sunday, August 2, 2009

An Awesome Few Days . . !

What can I say? It has been a lot of fun recently. My 24 hours in Anchorage was awesome! The hotel has animal trophies everywhere, is on a lake, and float planes are within walking distance of the front door.

I was able to connect with my Germany days friends, Connie and Kerry. They were both busy during the day, but they lent me a vehicle to go out and explore! So I took a drive to the Portage glacier (and on the way there saw a grizzly bear frolicking with seagulls out near the water), and took a walk around downtown Anchorage. Not at all what I was expecting - a lot smaller.

Then Connie and Kerry had me over to their house for dinner - it was an awesome meal of salmon, and the conversation was just as comfortable as it was 19 years earlier! It was a very good evening, and I hope to come back and spend some quality time with my friends.

The flight back to Denver was looooooonnnnnnnng. Over five hours. It would not have been so bad had I not had a nasty passenger on board. He was in the last row and asked me to have the passenger in the row in front of him to move his seatback forward. I told him that that passenger has every right to recline her seat, and he got mad at me because he couldn't recline his. I told him that that was the problem with the last row. Then he asked for my name and employee number. I know that I wanted letters from passengers, but I wanted NICE letters! I had to write a report telling my side of the story. We'll see if he follows through with his threats.

After Anchorage, I got released to my 12 hours rest - I decided to drive home and catch some sleep, but things kept waking me up...the Jehovah's Witnesses tried to convert me, a neighbor called to invite us to a party, and then crew scheduling called, assigning me to an overnight in Spokane! I was so exhausted from Anchorage... it was a long night. Once I arrived in Spokane, I fell into bed and slept for about 8 or 9 hours!

Before I went to bed, I checked my schedule and saw that they assigned me to an overnight in Nashville for tonight. Then when I return to Denver on Monday afternoon, I'll do a turn to San Jose, CA and be back in Denver by midnight. Thank goodness that I have Tuesday off!

The only problem is, is that I can't remember the last time I had a Sunday off and was able to go to Church! Also, we have neighborhood potluck dinners for our Church, and I haven't been to one of those in forever! I had hoped to go to the one tomorrow night, but it looks like I'll be in the air going to/from San Jose.

I will be posting my few Anchorage photos later tonight or tomorrow, and I took a couple from the hotel window in Spokane. I'm looking forward to returning to both places and spending more time exploring.

No comments: