Monday, August 24, 2009

Deja Vu

Yesterday morning, when I woke up in my Albuquerque hotel room and looked out the window, I got this incredible sense of deja vu. I recognized the truck stop in the distance, the mini-mart/gas station across the street, and the Ramada Inn behind the mini-mart! I could visualize walking from the back of the Ramada Inn around to the front, then around the mini-mart's fence, and going into the mini-mart to buy (what else?) Diet Coke in a can and ice for the cooler! What I was remembering was a trip that Greg, Jen and I took to Phoenix several years ago during Spring Break, and we stayed the night in ABQ on the way down.

The hotel that my airline uses is a lot nicer - the staff there is wonderful to us - they give us two drink coupons for use in the bar, a free breakfast buffet (that has someone there to make any kind of omelette that you can imagine), and beds that rival those of the Sheraton. Nice, huh? This was my first layover in ABQ and I got assigned to it (and a turn to Cabo San Lucas earlier in the day) with a 6:11AM wake-up call from crew scheduling (after having gone to bed at around 2:30AM or so after my trip to NYC). Fortunately, the crew was wonderful! We all went down and had drinks and snacks before bed, and then met up in the morning and had breakfast together.

The rest of the crew continued to Las Vegas for an overnight, but I was released to my RPP (whatever that stands for) day - cause I had been assigned to jury duty for today! I got there early, parked in the small juror parking lot, reported for duty at 8AM, and then was dismissed at 11AM. They called about 50 people for trials - and the rest of us were sent home. I am actually very disappointed. I would love to serve on a trial - the video they showed at the start of the morning explained it all - this is the basis of our freedom!!!

Oh well. Maybe next year. When they released me, I had to let crew scheduling know so that they could add me back to the list of available flight attendants, and I was told that chances are good that I'll be called. I'm hoping not. I'm enjoying being home...however, if they want to give me another ABQ overnight, I'll be there in a flash!

No comments: