Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh My Achin' Back!

On Sunday, I got chosen to sit on the couch from Noon until 6PM. And then I, along with the two other lovely ladies flying the couch with me, got selected to work an overnight to Milwaukee at 7:20PM. One of the ladies, Glenda, was a classmate of mine and her employee number is one number different than mine (and her last name is the same). Our trip went well, but on the way there, I realized that my lower back was not doing well...

I had spent my day off Saturday doing errands and then doing a bit of work in the front yard. I felt fine on Saturday night, and okay on Sunday when I was sitting the couch. But on Sunday night on the flight to Milwaukee, I started having a hard time straightening up after I stood up. I was the flight attendant in front of the plane, so the passengers got to see me in my struggle. As the flight progressed, I got stiffer. By the time we landed in Milwaukee, I had a real hard time pulling my roller bag behind me and walking.

I pretty much went to bed as soon as we got to the hotel. The next morning, I was stiff and sore!!! I tried doing all kinds of stretches, exercises - anything that would help me stand up straight. I even stood in the shower with the spray on my lower back for a good fifteen minutes! When it was time to take the van back to the airport, I had already called crew scheduling to let them know that I wouldn't be able to do the Orange County turn after I returned to Denver...my back wouldn't let me.

My fellow flight attendants were awesome! They picked up my bags for me, helped lift whatever I needed lifted, etc. It was so good of them to pick up my slack! I owe them a heap of thanks!

So I went home on Monday afternoon and have been there ever since...I had Tuesday and Wednesday off, and spent the days getting chiropractic adjustments, energy work and massages. I ended up taking Thursday, today and tomorrow off, too - I figured that it's not too safe having a flight attendant who cannot stand up straight!!! Fortunately, I am starting to be more flexible this evening...yippee! I have Sunday through Friday off next week, so by the time I return to work, I should be as good as new!!!

And speaking of good as new, my airline got great news yesterday! We are not being bought by Southwest Airlines (all they wanted to do was take us apart and bury us)...and Republic Airways won the auction and we will operate as normal under their umbrella! That means I still have a job, and maybe we'll actually start hiring new flight attendants soon!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

No comments: