Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Roller Coaster Ride

What a roller coaster ride it has been! Jen came home on Saturday and met Kodi for the first time.

Next, we spent my birthday on Sunday doing some "retail therapy" (as Jen and I like to call it) at Kohl's and the local mall. We finished up the day at IHOP with my birthday dinner. DON'T LAUGH!!! I love eating breakfast for dinner.

On Monday, we took Kodi to the vet to be *snipped* - and he was none too happy. Everything went well. Tuesday was the roller coaster day...here's a brief synopsis of what happened:
  • Electric line explosion behind our house (clear view from my office window)
  • Jen, Kikko and I all freak out - running around trying to figure out what to do
  • While talking to the Utilities Dept, I realize that there was a grass fire on the other side of our back fence - I hang up and call the fire department
  • Jen and I take turns battling the (small) blaze with our garden hose
  • The fire(s) are put out by the time the CUTE firemen arrive - we are heroes!
  • I pick up Kodi from the vet's office - he's not real happy with his collar that he must wear for a week

So that leads to the really big (as if what's already happened isn't enough) event - Kikko ran out through the doggie door and landed badly in the yard - human equivalent to bulging discs. He tried to use his back right leg, but it wouldn't do anything. Jen & I freaked, Kikko freaked, and poor Kodi was stuck inside the house wondering what the heck was happening.

We rushed Kikko to the vet and they took xrays and put him on an IV of fluids and steroids. This morning, he had regained about 30% use of his leg and the doctor hoped that further treatment today would help him recover enough to come home later today.

We are heartbroken. Jen & I had planned a several day vacation at the cabin with both Kikko and Kodi, mainly to help Kodi relax and recover. Now we'll probably have to keep Kikko on leash, too, until he's back to normal.

We miss our little boy!!!

No comments: