Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Unexpected Mini-Vacation

When I last wrote, I was getting ready to walk out the door of my hotel room in San Diego and get on the van back to the airport. Just as I was opening the door, crew scheduling calls me and asks, "What's the weather like in San Diego?" Not sure why they were asking, I replied, "Ah...what's going on?"

That's when they told me that there was a mechanical on our plane, and that a Republic flight will be coming instead. But they'd like us to stay another day and work the early morning flight back on Sunday. Darn. A full day in San Diego! It's a tough job, I know.

My classmate, Suzette, and I headed out on the Light Rail to Old Town, where we settled in at an outdoor Mexican restaurant. There was a nice breeze, the sun was shining, music was playing - it was awesome. The chips were seasoned and the salsa was HOT, but the enchiladas were delicious! We stayed at the restaurant a bit longer than planned so that our third flight attendant, Bruce, could join us. After he ate some lunch, we took a bus to Ocean Beach - a village on the Pacific Ocean.

It was a bit overcast and chilly by then, but it was so nice to walk on the pier and see the local color. By that, I mean a drunk woman (who was evidently topless before we got there) who was stealing the American flags from in front of the businesses - she'd grab one, and start singing patriotic songs. At one point, she was stopped by a store owner, the flag was taken away, and then she started chasing a guy who was on jumping stilts. What a riot!

Later on, we were walking on the beach, and several police cars and lifeguard trucks pull onto the beach. A couple lifeguards tackle the same woman in the water, lead her out and handcuffed her! I betcha they were gonna let her sober up in jail.

It was a fun, relaxing day. We headed back to the hotel early so that we could get a good night's sleep. When we got back to DEN the next morning, I got released for 10 hours rest. Then later on, I noticed that they gave me a turn to Los Angeles for Monday, and they released me from duty until my show time of 3:45PM! That was awesome! That gave me most of Monday to work in my yard and not have to worry that the phone would ring.

The turn last night could have been really good, but the A flight attendant was not my favorite. The C warned me ahead of time, and said that the A was a really good attendant, but was a bit on the gruff side. Well, I wasn't impressed. The A came back to my galley before boarding and took 1/2 my water bottles (even though she had at least nine bottles up front), and she took all my napkins. Huh? During service, she needed some alcohol and when I asked her if she was going to put the sale on my cash machine, she said "NO!" and huffed back to her galley. I yelled after her, "Thank you!" On the retun flight, I had to go up to the forward galley to retrieve some of my water and napkins so that we didn't run out. We serve 2/3 the cabin, but she wanted all the supplies! A bit of a hoarder, I would guess.

She had an attitude. She was a good flight attendant as far as serving beverages and picking up trash, but as far as following procedures, she was a rebel. She did her her way. I really wish that there was some sort of secret shopper program in place so that management could see how she did her job. But since there's not, I'll just make a note in my notebook that on this date/flight that I was "short" alcohol on my machine because FA A refused to record the sales on the correct machine. That's all I can do.

I've now got one glorious day off, and of course, it's overcast and chilly outside. I had hoped to start working on my backyard...I am so far behind in trimming and spring cleanup. But instead of doing that, I'm going to do laundry, have lunch with the girls at Red Lobster, and enjoy a quiet afternoon at home!

No comments: