Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Future of Frontier!

Before I catch you up on the last 10 days, I have to tell you about today's exciting news! Several months ago, our company was purchased by Republic Airways Holdings (RAH), who had also purchased Midwest Airlines. Things have been a bit rocky - we took over several of Midwest's flights, becaues their planes were returned to the manufacturer and their flight crews were furloughed. The gate crews aren't always the nicest to us, because they think we responsible for the Midwest crews being out of jobs...but the fact is, that Midwest does not exist.

Anyway, an announcement was made today that starting today, the Frontier/Midwest routes, flights, etc. will be called FRONTIER! We get to keep the animals on our tails and winglets, and we will serve fresh chocolate chip cookies (a Midwest staple) on all Frontier flights starting this summer. The most exciting thing, I think, is that the focus will be on GROWTH. I love that word. Because if we grow, then we'll need more Denver-based flight attendants. And when we add new flight attendants, my seniority will go up and I will no longer be on reserve! Wahoo! I just hope it happens SOON.

Now back to this last block of six duty days - I drove almost 800 miles to/from work! Last Wednesday I sat the 4PM to 10PM couch at DIA, and then at 9PM I got a call to go to a gate and get on a flight to Los Angeles! I had enough time to text Jen to tell her I was going, and while I was in the air, she contacted her future mother-in-law and gave her my cell number and the name of my hotel. I called Deniece when I landed and we made plans to meet for brunch on Thursday!

I am happy to say, that not only am I gaining a son-in-law, but I'm also gaining a friend! We had a lot to talk about, and a lot in common! We spent a couple of hours at a nearby Denny's, eating and talking. I look forward to seeing her again the next time I am in Los Angeles.

On Friday, I got to sit the couch (again), but this time from Noon until 6PM. There were lots of fun people to talk to and the time pretty much flew by! Then on Saturday, I got to stay home until around 6PM, when I got a call assigning me to an Oklahoma City stand-up (a flight where we're on the ground less than 7 hours - you go to a hotel, but it's not a good night's sleep...it's more of a nap). We waited and waited and waited, and then found out that we had no CPT, and the flight was cancelled at 11PM. Lovely. I got to drive back home. The bad thing is, is that I'm paid only when I fly or sit the couch. So...my trip to/from DIA was for free!

On Sunday at around noon, I got a call assigning me to another stand-up - this time to Seattle. This time, the flight was delayed for 2 hours! So we got to the hotel at 1:30AM and the van was picking us up at 5AM. There was no rest for the weary. The good news is that I was released to my days off when I returned to DIA, so I got an additional 1/2 day off. Yahoo!

That leads me to today - I've been getting all kinds of errands run - that's what usually happens when I have days off. Eye doctor, computer guru, grocery store, post office. Tomorrow holds more of the same! Then it's back to work on Thursday for another block of six duty days.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Susan!
Jeff and Stacy are expecting a girl in the beginning of July!! Yeah! Glad your company is focusing on Growth!

Susan said...

Woo hoo! A baby girl! How awesome is that?!?!?!

And I am definitely looking forward to company growth...and climbing up that seniority ladder!