Thursday, April 15, 2010

Back to the Couch!

Today is Thursday. And it's back on that sexy, black leather couch for me! Instead of leaving my future to fate, I bid on the 4PM-10PM shift first, and then the Noon-6PM shift second, figuring at least I'd have part of the day knowing that the phone will not ring. Today's my lucky day, because I got my first choice!

I came across a quote by Warren Beatty this morning that pretty much sums up why I'm doing what I'm doing.

You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play.
That's what I experience when I do this job. Yes...I've got lots of responsibilities, but mostly I just get to have fun! Whether it be on a plane or on the ground, in the crewroom or in a layover city. Sometimes I get to laugh continuously for hours! How cool is that?

But right now, it's kind of a sad couple of days at Frontier, because our crew scheduler jobs were moved to Indianapolis recently, and those employees who chose not move with the jobs are leaving the company today and tomorrow. A couple of us reserve flight attendants threw them a luncheon last month - I sent out a notice to all reserve flight attendants and collected money, another planned the meal and ordered the food, and another picked up the food and set up the luncheon. It was the least we could do to show them how much they've meant to us.

I think the worst job in the company is crew scheduling. They're the ones who get to call the reserves at 4AM telling them to be at the airport to take a flight at 6AM. They're the ones who tell us that we have to do an overnight after we've just finished an east coast turn. They're not usually a well-loved bunch of people. All you need to do is read comments on Facebook, or be within earshot of a flight attendant in the crewroom to hear what they really think of being sent out yet again.

But, crew scheduling also gets to call us and tell us that we're going to Costa Rica or Cancun for 24 hours, and sometimes they get to tell us the we're released to our days off when it's only 7:30 in the morning, thus giving us another almost full day off!

I can see where the job would be very fulfilling - being able to make things run like clockwork, using the reserves in the most effective way - and I figure that there's more of the good than the bad...otherwise why would people keep doing the job?

Anyway, only two crew schedulers decided to make the move - so now it's our job to break in the new hires and hope that they'll be as much fun, playful, serious, accurate, and kind as the last batch.

You will be missed! See you in the skies!

No comments: