Friday, July 23, 2010

Back in the Airplane, Again...

It was so nice having a break from flying, and getting to relax up in Breckenridge!

I started back to duty with a 4-day trip that I bid on - and I got it! I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to KNOW what you're doing during your duty days, versus waiting for that doggone phone to ring, possibly giving you only two hours to get to the airport. I truly lucked out!

The 4-day trip took me to Canton-Akron (where we have a new hotel that's within 1/2 miles of a movie theater and a Target), Phoenix (where it was hotter than a witch's patootie), and Houston (not only hotter than a witch's patootie, but more humid than an indoor swimming pool). Fortunately, my crew was great! I was flying with one of my classmates - Rosalyn, and we had Stacy - another really nice lady. Stacy and I enjoyed iHop for breakfast in Phoenix (you gotta enjoy the little things in life), and then in Houston I went to Denney's with Janel, my former classmate who's now an Air Traffic Controller.

After brunch, Janel and I headed to her new house - where I got to meet her two kids...Mikey (a black lab) and Minnie (a Boston terrier). They are adorable and loving! She's got a nice guestroom, which will be great once she gets some furniture for it! So on my days off, when I'm looking to run away for a few days, I know where to go.
Janel & Mikey
Minnie
After this trip, I had a few days off and then I picked up a couch sit on Saturday, 7/17 from 4PM until 10PM. However, I got a call at around 5:30PM telling me that I'd be taking over for a flight attendant who was coming in from Salt Lake City. It seems that she had injured herself the previous day leaving Denver, and was now a hurtin' little puppy. Super Stew was there to save the day!!!

Again, I had a great crew (except for the pilot)! It was a most interesting trip, though...our first night was spent in Indianapolis. We arrived at around 1AM and our van driver told us that he wasn't sure he'd be able to get us to our hotel which was located in the city center. It seems that the city was on lockdown, and all roads were blocked. It was the annual BlackExpo, and some idiot decided to open fire in a crowd of people, shooting 8 by the mall that's near our hotel, and then opened fire two more times at other locations. He shot 10 in all, none seriously, and they were all young black men. They had not yet caught the shooter, hence the roadblocks.

Our hotel was filled with dressed up partygoers - I had to question the style of some womens' dresses...we thought maybe they were hookers. And the number of mens' pants that were down around their thighs...I could've had a heyday running around yanking down pants! There was a big party going on downstairs, and I asked the front desk if we could join them. She looked at me as if I had dog poop on my face and said, "No, I don't think so." But by then it was almost 2AM and I needed to get some sleep. So no fun for me! I call that discrimination! There were lots of partygoers in the hallway on our floor, and they showed no signs of going to their own rooms to sleep. Thank God for earplugs!

The next day, we had a late flight back to Denver and then on to San Francisco. I was working the middle of the plane during all these flights, Megan was in the back and Phillip was in the front. They were great. However, our CPT was not one of my favorites. He did not look at me or speak to me during the entire 3-day trip, even though I wished him "good morning"! Just because I wrote him up for theft the last time we flew together! Sheesh. He still hasn't brushed up on his "team-playing" skills, and he forgot to give us "sterile" as we were approaching Denver - meaning that all three of us could have been injured if we had noticed we were almost on the ground. Let's just say that I think he is an idiot - so wrapped up in himself, not caring about his team at all. At least this time he paid for the food that he got off the cart.

Megan and I hung out with the first officer, John, in San Fran. We talked a bit about the CPT (John didn't seem to think he was that bad), and about our jobs. It's always interesting to hear other people's stories of how they ended up flying with our airline.

The next day, we had a turn to Dallas and then we were off duty. I, however, got to come back again the following day to sit on the couch again from 4PM until 10PM, but this time all I did was three pre-boards. Lo and behold, at 10PM I was released until 8AM and my phone didn't ring at all!!! Yahoo! But I was so wound up, I wasn't relaxed at all that day...I kept expecting a call!

Today's my second official day off, and it started with a call from crew scheduling at 8AM - they wanted me to fly within two hours. I had just gotten out of bed, was still in my jammies, and hadn't eaten breakfast yet. I did not answer my phone. And I don't plane ot answer today if they call again. Granted, the pay would have been at time and a half, but I want to enjoy this day. But I think things are going crazy in Denver - MKE was shut down last night due to flooding, crews are stranded all over the country, and they are really short in Denver. If they'd swap out this day for another day off, I'd pitch in and help, but I have five days of duty starting tomorrow, and I know full well that they're going to use me all five days. So this would make it six, and I am not that super-human! Hahahaha! So the phone is off, I'm getting ready to do laundry, and do some yardwork today!

No comments: