Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I KNEW There Was Something I Forgot to Do...

Oops. It's now 2/24. I kind of forgot all about blogging...that's what five days off will do to you! By the way, I didn't even make a DENT in my taxes - I could sit on a shrink's couch, pay lots of money, and MAYBE figure out WHY that's such an overwhelming debilitating deal to me. But I won't.

Anyway...let's catch you up on my incredibly wonderful exciting life! I had five glorious days off - sleeping in late, playing on the computer, doing a bit of accounting work, watching a bit of TV...to be honest, I don't think I accomplished much of anything. It just felt good to not have to do anything!

I started a block of six days of duty on Sunday - Valentine's Day, and as expected, I got to sit on that sexy black leather couch at DIA from Noon until 6PM. But this time I was going to make it a bit more exciting. I stopped at Safeway first, picked up a few packages of small KitKat bars and emptied them into a little red vinyl bag that I carried around with me for the rest of the day. When I arrived at the employee parking lot and walked through security, I handed the guard a candy bar and wished him a "Happy Valentine's Day!" He was taken aback. He thanked me, and then a few seconds later, thanked me again, saying how much it meant to him! I did the same for the driver of the shuttle bus that would take me to the terminal. Again, I got a big smile.

For the next six hours, I proceeded to give KitKat bars to anyone who neared the sexy black leather couch that I was adorning. A couple of my friends, not to mention any names, would reach out and grab a KitKat as I tossed one to a newcomer. It happened more than once. But I had a TON of KitKats to share. I also took a walk around the concourse with another couch-sitter and she and I handed out KitKats to all the gate agents, security guards and scouts (people who push the wheelchairs and drive the carts) that we came across. It was a lot of fun!

But after that excitement, it was time to go back home. I sat at home with a quiet phone for two days - very unusual. I did manage to work on the books here and there (when I put this down in writing, I realize how many days I have wasted...shame on me).

On Tuesday evening, I was watching the Open Time board and saw a couple trips pop onto the board. I waited for them to get assigned, but the trips stayed on the board for two hours. I finally called crew scheduling, and asked if they were going to assign those trips...I had a sneaky feeling that I was next in line for a trip. And sure enough, I got one. They told me that they had been really busy, but I told them that when a trip has an early show time (7:15AM), that means I have to be on the road two hours in advance, and that means I needed to get to bed NOW! I'm still waiting to hear what their justification is for letting the trip sit on the board so long.

But...the trip was awesome! I was A in the front of the plane - we did a turn to Salt Lake, and then we had an overnight in Las Vegas, arriving at around 2PM. It was a beautiful day in Vegas, so I changed clothes and walked over to the strip. It was really weird being there alone - the last time I was there was for Jen's 21st BD...but I managed to walk around for an hour or so, then headed back to the room to eat dinner and go to bed early - this trip had some VERY early show times!

The following morning, we headed back to Denver and had a bit of a sit before heading to Chicago. I knew that a couple of my Chicago cousins had just returned from Florida, and my girlfriend Joan and I had been trying to get together and hadn't been successful yet...so I got in touch with Joan to see if we could have an early dinner on Thursday night. Sure enough, she was able to come out and pick me up after work, we had a deliciously unhealthy meal at Grand Duke's, a Lithuanian restaurant a few miles from the hotel, and enjoyed some really good conversation! But it was another early night for me...

There must have been some caffeine in either the meal or the Lithuanian beer that I drank, because I had the HARDEST time sleeping that night. And we had a VERY early show time of 4:40AM (3:40AM Denver time). Ouch. But I managed to drag myself out of bed and appear to be normal to the rest of the crew. It was a long day. Fortunately, our CPT and FO were nuts, and joking around with them and the other FAs helped to keep me awake and alert. We flew back to Denver, and then to Chicago (yes, again) and then back to Denver, before we called it a day!

I then had a few days off - still procrastinating on the taxes - but getting laundry done, errands run, etc. I do have my priorities straight, you know. We had an 80th BD surprise party we attended on Sunday - it was a very nice party held during the Cheyenne Mountain Conference Resort's weekly Sunday brunch - mimosas were flowing, a full buffet full of delicious food, and an awesome dessert table with the most gorgeous dessert I've ever seen - a teacup made of chocolate, filled with delicious chocolate mousse, surrounded by a vanilla creme with chocolate swirls. It was beautiful. And good. Yes...I ate ever ounce. I almost licked the plate.

That pretty much brings me to this new duty block of six days. I started off yesterday by sitting on that sexy black leather couch from Noon to 6PM, but they pulled me off and sent me on a Salt Lake turn at 2PM...it was a good trip - very nice crew, and the time went by very fast. I was back at DIA by 7PM and got to head home for the night.

I just got a call from Crew Scheduling and should be getting dressed and eating lunch instead of typing this...but I'm heading to Orlando for the night. It's only a 10 hour layover, so I won't be able to hang out and relax or anything, but it's a really nice hotel and I'm in position A.

So, until later...

No comments: