Saturday, February 27, 2010

Attitude is Everything

What an interesting trip this has already been. Our PHX turn was not the best - everything was rushed, crazy, mixed-up...just nuts! One of my problems was that the other FAs aren't as "particular" about food/beverage inventories as I am. Things were being taken off carts, run up on the other cart's machines - no controls whatsoever. I expressed my frustration to the C, and then he in turn talked with the A. On our next leg to IND, things were much, much better. Whenever anyone wanted items off my cart, they used my machine, and my ending inventory was actually correct this time! Halleluiah!

When I met the C flight attendant, I found out very quickly that his glass was "half empty." He seemed like a really nice guy, but was really, really negative. So I made it my goal to turn him around a bit and to stay on the positive side of life...at least during this trip!

In a recent letter from our new CEO, he mentioned something he had heard in a sermon on Lent. The thing he should focus on is LENT - Let's Eliminate Negative Thinking. Boy...has that struck a chord with me. It sums up what I've been doing for the past 2 1/2 years. Why focus on the negative? I've found that when you do, negative stuff keeps on happening! When I focus on the positive, good things happen and my attitude changes for the best. Who wants to be around negative thinkers? It's not always easy...but it's definitely worth the effort.

I've been wasting time this morning catching up on my online newspaper - as I left my neighborhood yesterday, there were police cars, an ambulance, and fire trucks at a townhome down the street. As I drove by, people were outside the townhome with medical masks on their faces...I read this morning's local paper to see if there was an article about what happened, but nothing was mentioned. Was the home's occupant sick? Or maybe dead? Or maybe filled with cats and dogs that were never let outside? I guess I'll never know.

While reading the paper, my cellphone rang - it was Crew Scheduling. They asked me how long it'd take me to get ready to go to the airport and fly to Cancun and back. Huh? It turns out that we have a crew that left the hotel this morning to fly to Cancun. Before the flight took off, one of the passengers questioned the sobriety of one of the flight attendants. So that FA was taken to the clinic to be tested, and CS thought that maybe I could get out there and help the flight stay on schedule.

As I was getting ready to jump in the shower, CS called again to tell me "never mind." That the entire crew was being drug tested. Bummer. That means that Cancun flight is gonna be delayed. And from what they told me, the passenger is now saying that they were "just kidding" about it! Not a good answer. Our bad news is that that is our plane tonight that we are supposed to take back to Denver...CS told me I might want to call my CPT and give him a heads-up.

So that's what I did. It was around 11AM local time, and I woke him up! Ooops. But I felt he needed to know - if we're gonna be delayed, I'd rather hang out here in the hotel longer instead of having to sit at the airport waiting for a plane! Also, our shuttle service needed to be contacted, etc. What a mess. Unfortunately, you just can't kid around about stuff like that any longer.

I guess it was a good thing that I got ready to jump in the shower - I realized that I left my little shampoo bottle in my hotel room in MCO. Bummer. But at least now I can throw on some warm clothes and brave the freezing IND weather to find my shampoo at the local drugstore or mall. So I guess that's what I'm going to do now!!!

No comments: