Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Little did I know that all hell was breaking loose in Denver on the 30th! We got back to DEN from SNA about a half-hour late, but then our MCI overnight got delayed about 3 1/2 hours due to a combination of mechanicals and weather. We FINALLY arrived in MCI at around 2AM local time, and found out that our 17 hour layover was being reduced to 8 1/2 hours (the minimum according to the pilots' union contract). Our SAN turn for the 31st was re-crewed, so my fellow flight crew got released when we returned to DEN at noon, AND they got full pay for the flight that got re-crewed.

But...since I'm STILL on reserve, I got assigned to sit on the couch for FIVE HOURS and then do an LAX turn. I was NOT a happy camper when I found out. But after holding a "pity party" for myself, I decided that I was going to have a GREAT DAY...and I did!

The other two flight attendants on my LAX turn were wonderful, friendly, easy to talk to - it was so nice! And I had some crazy passengers on board, too! One entire row of passengers absolutely LOVED me - they thought I was funny! So I gave them comment cards with our website address so that they could make a comment to the company. As everyone was deplaning, another passenger came up to me and told me that I should be teaching flight attendants how to be flight attendants! Wow. That one left me speechless! It was the perfect way to end 2010.

The flight back to DEN was also a good one - I even had one passenger give me a drumroll as I poured the 6th and final drink for his family, without having to ask for any hints as to what they ordered! I stretched my mind to its limit! Woo hoo! When we returned to DEN, the shuttle bus to the parking lot just leaving, but he made a u-turn to come get us! Wasn't that sweet! Seeing how it was -2 degrees in DEN, we really appreciated it.

The drive home was a mix of "tipsy drivers" and icy roads, but I managed to get home unscathed. The only problem I faced was that my windshield washer fluid was frozen - thank goodness there wasn't a lot of crud being kicked up by the drivers in front of me. At one point between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs, the outside temp dropped to -12 degrees! Ouchie wow wow!

I have today and tomorrow off, and I fully expect crew scheduling to call and try to junior assign me (force me to take a trip but with time-and-a-half compensation), but I want to stay home and enjoy the last two days at home with my little girl, her fiance, and my grandpuppy! So I will not be answering my cell phone or home phone unless I know 100% it is you calling!

Happy 2011...

No comments: