Thursday, December 30, 2010

California Dreamin'

As I write this, I am sitting on my luxurious bed in Orange County, CA. I will soon be getting up and heading to Trader Joe's to pick up my favorite soy cracker in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD! We're leaving this afternoon and heading back to Denver...and then on to Kansas City tonight! Provided, of course, that the "blizzard" that is on its way doesn't change those plans. We'll see! After the east coast getting slammed, I feel that Denver is overdue for a blizzard.

My v-file at work (my folder in a filing cabinet - we each have one) had several holiday greetings from my fellow flight attendants, a cute little "glow in the dark" hand sanitizer, and a yummy bag of holiday snacks! But...it was missing some trinkets that a fellow FA left there for me that he had picked up in DAY. So sad. A few months ago another friend left a NYC MetroCard in my v-file, and it was gone before I got there. And just a couple weeks ago, a fellow FA found a hole in her plastic bag of food that she had placed in the crewroom refrigerator - some of it had been taken. Really? I'm thinking that we all need to contemplate the following quote - "Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one's looking." I wish we could weed out the bad ones and then we'll all be one big happy, HONEST family again!  :)  A girl can dream, can't she?

Last night's flight to Orange County was interesting. Great crew. Weird passengers. One guy came on and I asked him, "How are you doing this evening?" and he replied, "Not well at all. I have the flu and I've already thrown up a couple times." Really? Is he kidding me? I told him that he shouldn't be flying if he's ill - I'm fully expecting to get the flu in a mere 3 days from now.  :(  And, of course, those will be my days off. Butthead. I told the Captain about this guy, and he wanted him off. So we set the wheels in motion. A gate supervisor came on board just a few minutes before departure, and when I told him what was going on, he told me that he can't remove a passenger from the aircraft for being sick. WHAT?!?!?! Excuse me? He spoke with the Captain, who was just as upset as I was, and then spoke with the passenger. Get this...the passenger tells the supervisor that he is a DOCTOR and he'll be alright. A DOCTOR? With no brain, obviously. I gave the supervisor a mask to give to the passenger, and asked him to tell the passenger to wear it during the entire flight. And did he? Nope. I think some passengers check their brains at the security checkpoint.

Towards the end of the flight we had some severe turbulence, and not everyone was in their seats (the seatbelt sign had just been turned on for our initial descent). I saw one older lady in the aisle and passengers around her were holding on to her. When I got back to her, she requested a bandaid...she had bruised her hand somehow during the turbulence, and a small cut was bleeding. She was a sweet thing. So I bandaged her up and sent her on her way. The Captain had not seen/heard that that turbulence was coming, so he called back to us after it happened to make sure that we were all okay. I think my feet did leave the floor at one point, but I was fine, as were my co-workers. And this was over CALIFORNIA, not nearing Denver as it usually is.

One of my co-workers this flight is Tui - the really nice FA from the "Undercover Boss" episode. He is very involved in our new "Culture Club" - trying to get that "family feeling" back for all of our airlines that are now one. It's a long road, because we each have our own planes, our own work rules, and our own pay scales. We also stay in different quality hotels (though I hear that is changing), and we have different uniforms. I was so glad to hear that E.C. (one of my classmates) is involved in the group! I have high hopes that the group will head in the right direction. To announce the group, the marketing department created a video about "Why We Fly" and it perfectly described me. I would post it here, but it is on a company website and can't be shared.

I guess I'd better get moving, make some breakfast, and head over to Trader Joe's!

No comments: