Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vacation days, Sick leave, and Days off...

I just used my four vacation days (you only get four if you take medical leave for blood clots and a broken wrist and a COLA during 2008), and boy...they went fast! I'm now using three days of sick leave to cover the three weekend duty days that I had yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Jen's surgery was moved to this past Friday (the surgeon was in Europe until Tuesday night - the original surgery was scheduled for Wednesday), the last day of my vacation. It was a "textbook surgery," according to the surgeon, and I am assuming that Jen is having a "textbook recovery." Pain, swelling, discoloration. She has vowed never to get any further elective surgery (I'll remind her of this when she tells me she wants a boob job).

Since I was scheduled to work Sat/Sun/Mon, I got in touch with an Inflight Manager and Crew Scheduling, and told them that I would be taking these days off to be with my daughter. Greg has a big jet event this weekend and wouldn't be around, and the surgeon required that someone be with her for at least the first 24 hours after surgery. I encountered no problems getting those days off as sick leave.

Starting on Tuesday, I have three days off and then I'll be on duty again for another three days. We'll play it by ear, but I think Jen will be fine by the time those days roll around, and I'll be off to some nice hotel in Canton/Akron or Detroit!

I just got my schedule for July - I had hoped to get a long weekend off in mid-July so that Greg and I could travel to Vermont for an annual BBQ party given by two of his dental school friends...but trying to get a weekend off when you are 18 from the bottom is like pulling teeth. I've tried close to 30 different trade requests, and have been turned down - and that's just to get that Saturday off! Oh well...it doesn't look like I'll be going.

At first glance, all these gyrations and disappointments can get me down. But I've learned not to dwell on them and just let them go. Sure, I'd like to go to the party. But how much quality time would we really be able to spend with our friends? Maybe it'd be better to just go and visit them at their home in CT for a long weekend during another time of the year, when people are more willing to trade weekend days.

One thing that I have learned to do is look at the trade board on a regular basis - if there are some days off that I can trade with someone else to help them out, I will. I even did this when I was at the top of the reserve list and got weekend days off (in the very distant past, and hopefully in the near future!!!). Why not help one another through these difficult times? Those that lord over others that they've earned their weekend days because they're senior, but then sit at home doing nothing but pick their noses, should be ashamed of themselves.

But I will now take my July schedule, try and fit in some fun things to do (not ALL fun things happen on weekends), and maybe see a few friends or family members in the process!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I don't want a boob job, though! I like my boobs!

Susan said...

That is good to hear! And your experience has surely convinced me that I will not be having any voluntary surgeries anytime soon!