Sunday, February 5, 2012

Happy New Year (kinda late...)

A great, big, HAPPY NEW YEAR to my loyal followers (all three of you - you know who you are!). My loyalties have been focused on "Words with Friends" on Facebook, and I have spent most free moments catching up on the 15 or so games I have going at any one time. Speaking of which, even though I win a good 75% of these games, I get SO FRUSTRATED because that program locks up my computer while I'm playing! I don't know what kind of hidden thing it adds to my computer (especially at home), but one move during the game can take up to 15 minutes. I've decided that I don't have that kind of time any longer, and I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders! Awesome!

So what have I been up to since December 12, 2011? I have no idea. I do remember having a wonderful Christmas with my family (including Jen & James & Liza, and James' mom, Deniece) - even though it was a short visit. Christmas with the family should be a minimum of a week, and maybe a maximum of two weeks. By then, we'd probably be sick of each other. But the anticipation of the holiday, and the time spent looking for that "perfect" present is a lot of fun! I was lucky enough to receive a plastic hot dog doggie toy and a mini-traveler's kit (complete with mini-plastic pretend camera and passport holder) from my new son-in-law, James. What a joker. In return, I gave him a "Kosherland" board game, a Hanukah Star for the top of his Christmas tree, and I made him hunt for his gifts. It was supposed to be payback for his hot-dog-related gifts, but it backfired. He actually enjoyed hunting for his gifts! It was a fun holiday.

At the beginning of the New Year we celebrated Greg's parents' 60th Wedding Anniversary at a family dinner at the Army/Navy Country Club. It was a wonderful family celebration, which included a few special friends who are just like family. It was the first time that the Moore side of the family were all together in forever! We got everyone to pose for a family picture! It was great!

And now back to the reason that I started this blog - being a flight attendant! During December, I "dropped down" to Reserve status so that I could have a week off at Christmas, and I realized that I am allergic to reserve. My allergy doctor's office was able to get "Intermittent FMLA" status for my continuous sinus infection, while we try to figure out WHY I keep getting sick. I'm thinking that at some point during my past 4 1/2 year career as a flight attendant, I got a deep-seated infection in my sinuses, and soon I might have to get a Roto-Rooter procedure to clean it all out and then figure out WHY it keeps happening. So...I may find out that my mid-life crisis career is not helping my health, and at that time I am going to have to make some difficult decisions.

In the meantime, I am traveling all over the place! Trying hard to get those warmer-weather layovers when a senior mama or senior papa drops a nice trip onto the Trade Board, which, if the timing is right, I'll pick up and enjoy. During January, I had a fun trip to Chicago-Midway, where a fellow flight attendant Lori and I got on the L and went downtown where we met my good buddy and longtime friend, Joannie, and walked around Millenium Park, Michigan Avenue and Water Tower Place. And...before I forget, we had lunch at GINO'S EAST PIZZARIA. Yummy, yum, yum. It was so much fun to hang out with Joannie and to introduce Lori to one of my favorite cities in the world!

Then a few weeks later, I got to spend a Sunday afternoon/evening with another very good, long-time friend, Cheryl, in her neck-of-the-woods, Orange County, CA. We compared wedding pictures - her son got married in Michigan the day before my daughter got married in Colorado! Lots and lots things to share, including dreams of the future.

Two good friends in two weeks - what could be better? Well...a great crew helps! I have really lucked out lately. I've been able to communicate with and work well with my co-workers. We're all on the same page on the way of doing things (i.e. we all do it the way that the company wants us to do it), and we can find fun things to discuss.

And that brings me to the passengers. I've really come into my own dealing with the passengers. I'm able to be friendly, funny, and attend to their needs. I pick up on their moods better now, and am better able to solve their issues. And the best thing of all, I'm still having fun! I can't imagine doing anything else with my life right now.

When I went to Chicago a couple weeks ago, I went downtown and took some pictures of my adventures.

An Important Sign
The Bean in Millenium Park - Joannie and Me
Marilyn Monroe
Me and Joannie at Gino's East Pizzaria
Originally, on the way back from my downtown adventure, I was SUPPOSED to take a plane full of passengers to Denver and then on to Las Vegas. But it had started snowing...crew scheduling called while Lori and I were on the L back to the hotel - they told me that our afternoon flight was cancelled, and that we'd be going to Huatulco, Mexico for a turn the next day. Say what? What had been a nice, relaxing trip, followed by a nice steak dinner for $7.77 became a plane full of rowdy vacationers on an Apple Vacation Charter! Oh boy!
We started out at Midway Airport the next morning, flew the empty plane to O'Hare, loaded them up and headed to Huatulco (pronouced waaa-tulle-co). I didn't get to see much, but the passengers were sure excited to get there. The passengers we picked up weren't as excited, but they were very willing to share with me how much they loved Huatulco. One couple had just finished their 10th visit. Wow. I think I'm missing something.

Currently, I just finished two Apple Vacation charter trips - one to Liberia, Costa Rica from St. Louis, and one to Punta Cana, Domincan Republic from Chicago O'Hare. They're fun charters and relatively easy to do. The bad thing about this weekend's charters is that there were two in a row. And the first one was delayed due to a delayed incoming flight. That just set the ball rolling. Then we had a weight/balance issues in Costa Rica, and it increased the delay. By the time we got to St. Louis, and then on to Chicago - our 9 hour layover got reduced to 8 hours. OUCH. So our flight to Punta Cana was delayed in the morning due to rest issues - but the gate agents didn't say a word to the passengers! So we get to the gate after a lousy short 8 hours, and they're making snide comments about how it was nice we FINALLY showed up. Not nice.

Once on the plane, I explained the FAA rules that were being followed by allowing us the guaranteed 8 hours of time-off we were due, and then their attitudes changed! Communication. Works every time. Even though we left Chicago about 1 1/2 hours late, we arrived in Punta Cana only 1/2 hour late - strong tailwinds! But once down there, we waited and waited for the passengers, and we're not sure why they didn't bring them on. In the meantime, we see a very interesting plane arrive - I would love to find out whose jet it is. Any ideas?
Mystery Plane
When the passengers arrived, they were a bit perturbed that we were late, and again I explained. This time they weren't as understanding....because, of course, we were standing in the way of them getting home. And to add insult to injury, those lovely tailwinds on the way down, were horrible headwinds on the way home. We were supposed to arrive at 4:45PM and we didn't get in until 6:15PM or so. Whew. The day before was a 14 1/2 hour duty day, and this one was 12 1/2 hours. I was exhausted. I had arranged for a rental car and was all set to head down to my cousin's home for a birthday dinner for him - but I was SO EXHAUSTED that I really didn't feel that I could drive SAFELY to their home that evening. I was so disappointed. After updating my Facebook, I sorta kinda fell asleep and didn't see daylight until 7:30AM. Got up for a few minutes, and then did not see daylight again until 11:00AM or so. I think I was tired.

Today will be easy. We ferry an empty plane from O'Hare to Midway, and then work the flight from Midway to Denver, and we'll be DONE. I'll be off for 6 entire days - I wish I could say that I'll be relaxing and enjoying my days off, but I have tons of accounting and taxes to take care of for Greg's business and our personal stuff. So...no more procrastinating!